/dist/images/branding/favicon

Pan Smoothing for best rotating shots?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Frank Manno, May 17, 2016.

1. Frank Manno

Frank Manno New Member

Hi everyone,

I have a Movi M5 using a Canon 5D. So it's not a heavy payload.

I am using Akira 5.0 Beta.. Quite happy with it so far.

The shot I need to do is at 35mm to 50mm and rotating around a subject. Subject is stationary and I need to spin around them holding them in frame.. I am using Majestic Mode.

What would be a good pan smoothing setting and maybe expert mode setting to achieve a nice smooth stably result?

I'm currently using Pan Smoothing 25 an Pan Window 10. It's ok but not 100% ok..

-Frank

2. General rule when changing the Pan Smoothing/Window values. The lower the value the quicker the response.

3. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Frank, would love to hear how this shot worked out for you. I find this is one of the most difficult shots to execute in Majestic Mode. It's difficult to walk forward and shoot off to the side and keep your subject in frame.

Many people try to side-step or cross-step around the subject, keeping the camera facing forward toward the middle, but it creates awkward footsteps and instability, so ideally you can find a way to keep your body walking forward in a circle and the camera panned in.

If I had to do that shot today, I'd be in dual-operator mode and use my PLC Veracity wheels or the Mimic to keep the subject in frame while someone else holds the camera and walks around the subject. I know that advice doesn't necessarily help you.

Maybe try settings of 6 or 7 Smoothing and Window and see how that works. If you need more response, lower the window, but I think I'd roll with a bit more smoothing. Maybe raise your tilt Window so you can worry less about it, or control the tilt with the height of the camera a bit more.

Let us know how it worked out.