/dist/images/branding/favicon

Pan rotates on its own

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Matt McTurk, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Matt McTurk

Matt McTurk New Member

The Pan on my gimbal rotates very slowly without any input from my DX8. When I plug the radian into the software it doesn't show the current angle change, even though it is. I played around with the gain (high and low) to see if that would fix it, but it still slewed without any input. Do I need a new radian? Or is there a fix for this?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Check that the trim on your transmitter is centered.

3. Matt McTurk

Matt McTurk New Member

I checked that and it was centered.

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

And is it doing this while you are suspending the copter and not allowing the flight deck to move? Maybe post a video of what is happening?

5. Matt McTurk

Matt McTurk New Member

Here is a quick video I did. Sorry about the audio (don't know what happened there). As you can see in the video, when I turn on stabilized slew the gimbal starts automatically moving. I've tried playing with the gain, from 200% down to 30% and it still did it. Also, the trim on my DX8 is centered.

The biggest confusion for me is that when I connect the pan radian to the software, the current angle demand changes when I slew the gimbal with the transmitter, but when it starts slewing on its own, the current angle demand doesn't change.

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Matt that's helps. Can you also post a screenshot of you pan Radian configuration?

One other thing to check is the stick calibration on your transmitter. If he calibration is off then the stick won't be at a zero value. You might be able to see the value in the servo monitor screen.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Scott: I've seen something very similar to this when the copter is suspended like this. However, it doesn't seem to happen when you're airborne. Might it be possible to try and flight and see if the issue of pan drift still continues. If it does, then Gary is absolutely correct in terms of the things to check.

Andy.

8. Matt McTurk

Matt McTurk New Member

Here is a screenshot of my pan radian. Also, Andy I will test it out in an actual flight and see if it still does it.

I checked my transmitter to see if it was calibrated to zero, and it was.

[​IMG]

9. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

Was this problem ever resolved? Mine is currently doing the same thing.

10. Matt McTurk

Matt McTurk New Member

I'm just waiting for a calm day to test it out while in flight, just as Andy suggested. But on the bench it still does it.

11. Matt McTurk

Matt McTurk New Member

I was finally able to get a flight in, and didn't see any measurable pan drift, so I think Andy is correct in that it doesn't do it in flight.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Glad to hear it. The real issue is that the copters and gimbals are a really complex bundle of dynamic forces, so what they do on the ground seems to be quite different from what they do in the air. (Right. And they don't crash much when they're on the ground! ;)

Andy.