/dist/images/branding/favicon

Pan Bearing Problem

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Dave Wilkinson, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Dave Wilkinson

Dave Wilkinson New Member

Recently aquired 3 axis gimbal - very pleased with it except that pan bearing was very "rough"
    Problem came and went - on one occasion a "bad" spot that took some (fingertip) torque to overcome
    Fact that fault was intermittent suggested a ball problem in one of the ballraces
    Test with Canon 7D using Radians gave unacceptably jerky image
    Has anyone else suffered this?
    Further problem was getting any response out of UK distributor (4 days of email and telephone with no answer!)
    They have now taken back the part but say they need to contact Freefly to get replacement under warranty
    We have a demo for a potential contract booked and have no indication of if and when replacement available
    On contacting Freefly all we got was automatic "refer to your distributor"
    Not a very good experience so far!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Dave:
    Sorry to hear of your woes. I'm only a volunteer moderator so I don't work for FF (or QC), but let me see if I can make things happen....

Andy.

3. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Dave, lets get this sorted. The 3-axis pan assembly gets significant preload when assembled here at HQ. This can lead to a 'tight' feeling on the bearings. This issue can also show up after a hard landing etc as the 3-axis / landing gear can put significant force on the bearing / shaft.

I have a hunch this bearing roughness has nothing to do with a jerky image, that is likely associated to overgain on the pan axis. I will send you a PM right now and we can get this resolved.

Best

Tabb

4. Dave Wilkinson

Dave Wilkinson New Member

Hi Andy

Thanks for your interest.
    Am now in conversation with Tabb and he seems to have everything in hand.
    Looking forward to getting flying (my son, Jesse, is the wildlife cameraman and main pilot) especially when the Black Magic finally arrives.

Dave

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Dave:
    Don't hesitate to come back on the forum if you have problems or questions.
    Hwyl fawr....

Andy.

6. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

Tabb

We have recently experienced the same issue. I disassembled the gimbal hub plates and found that my bottom bearing seems to be very "crunchy" it does not move very smoothly. The top bearing is smooth as silk compared to the bottom one. I get acceptable pan performance at a relatively moderate speed to high speeds. But at lower speeds it the jitter is sporadic in nature. I know that the bearing seems to be shot. What is the best way to remedy this. Is there a replacement bearing we can get and have it pressed in at a machine shop?

7. Justin John

Justin John Member

I also have this problem with Jitter at lower speeds with stick input on the pan and tilt axis's. Did replacing this pan bearing solve this issue?