/dist/images/branding/favicon

Oscillation issues with comverted M5 aerial gimbal

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Taylor Higgins, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Taylor Higgins

Taylor Higgins New Member

Hi all,

See Photo Below
    Here is my build:
    Vulcan UAV SkyHook 1200mm X4 TALL-LG X4/8
    8 Rc Tiger Navigator Series MN4014 330Kv Motor
    DJI Wookong-M
    8 Tiger Motor 15x5 Carbon Fiber Propeller Pair
    VulcanUAV 200mm Vibration Isolation System
    400AMP Power Distribution Board

I converted the Movi M5 into an aerial gimbal which is fastened onto the vibration plate. My first flight I left the factory settings on the gimbal and here is the video(I am using a crappy tiltshift lens that is made for selective focusing so don't mind the out of focus parts):

Forward Flight:
    0:35
    1:48
    2:44
    4:30
    5:10

See Photo Below
    Payload:

Movi M5 Converted Gimbal 4.4 lbs
    5d Mark II 1.7lbs
    lens .5 lbs
    Total: 6.7 lbs

When the UAV is at a hover or is pointed downward there seems to be some vibration/oscillation but when the UAV is in forward flight it is smooth. Why is this?

There isn't any oscillation before flight. The tilt gain on the gimbal is set to 10 and if you lower it down any you lose significant control when you command the camera down. Once you tilt down at a gain setting of 5 it will then move down for a second or two more without you doing anything after your intitial command which is unacceptable in video photography. I need full control without oscillation or vibration.

What I should do to get rid of this oscillation?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Attached Files:

Jose Martinez likes this.
  2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Taylor in general the worst flight condition for a copter, RC or full size, is hover. The copter is sitting on a bubble of disturbed air rather than flying through clean non turbulent air. Not know enough about the Vulcan but also could be that it is flexing with the arms being as long as they are.

Fixing will be trial and error. Might be copter vibrations getting through to the gimbal. Strap the camera down, gimbal unpowered, and see what you get. If it is the same jitters then it is the frame. Then try to tune one axis at a time. Make sure when setting the MoVI gains that you suspend the copter to get the highest gains possible.

Taylor Higgins likes this.
  3. Taylor Higgins

Gary,

That is very useful information. Thank you for your reply! I thought that the hover was supposed to be the place where there would be the least vibration. I will try these things and repost!

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

You might also want to strap a GoPro onto one of the arms to watch the MōVI, and also show you if there's an extraordinary amount of vibration transmitting down the boom(s). You'd be amazed what you can discover sometimes. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

Taylor Higgins likes this.
  5. Taylor Higgins

Great idea! lol! I am glad you know now.