/dist/images/branding/favicon

On Going problems with CS3 / Radian

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Gary Shainberg, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Gary Shainberg

Gary Shainberg New Member

Guys,

I am still having problems with my set-up and as there are many users of something similar out there I am a little frustrated as to why I can not get a good / great result from ,my set-up - which for ref is a CS3 with 3 x radians and a Nikon D7100 with 18-105 lens.

After trying many things and following a number of people great advice I still am getting crap results and have now started getting deeper into the whole build and one thing I have just noticed is that the tilt servo as a little grating when you rotate it slowly by hand and its only for about 45 degree of the rotation, having checked the roll servo this is much smoother.

Is this normal / a quark of the servo's or could this be a part of my problem ?

Thanks

Gary S.

2. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

Hi Gary,

I have tried to make the radinas work for a year... I never got close to a good result.
    Maybe that's why FF went brushless...?

Cheers
    Bo

3. Gary Shainberg

Bo,

Sorry to say, but I am glad there is someone else out there who has been suffering other than me :)

Just ordered all the bits for a BL conversion, although I could be jumping from the fat into the fire ....

-Gary

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Gary since there are lots of Radians shooting great video let's see if we can isolate your issues. First please fill out the Radian data document from this spot on the forum. http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/radian-issue-please-read-this-first.744/

Take some photos of your setup and attach screen shots of each of your Radian Config Screens.

On tilt check that the tilt wheel set screw is tight. It works loose over time and needs to be checked. Also check the belt tension. They should be tight enough that you get no more than a 3mm deflection when moving them. Check that the servo pulley and drive pulley's are lined up parallel to each other. If you suspect a servo has gone bad you swap the servo's to see if that isolates the issue.

What was the results of your test flights to isolate the vibrations? I don't see that you ever reported those back on the forum.

5. Gary Shainberg

Gary, much thanks for the extra help, its appreciated.
    Over the last few days I have made so many changes in an attempt to isolate the issue I have decided to go back to basics and approach things from a simple and logical POV.

Firstly thanks for the grub screw suggestion because on checking this was not as tight as it could have been and there was some play on the shaft, this is now fixed.

The next thing I have done is balance, balance, balance and even more balance and I think I have this licked.......

Today has been a bad weather day so I have not managed to fly, hopefully we will tomorrow and i'll take some video from both the camera and the flight. and then I will also fill out the form and send some screen shots. My settings for the flight will be 130/130 for tilt/roll which testing on the bench looks OK.

Thanks again

-G