/dist/images/branding/favicon

Occislations then fut out when point directly down.

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Sam Donaghy Bell, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Sam Donaghy Bell

Hi folks,

I know the answer to this but just looking for a second opinion. Here's the set up. C300 - M10 - 24-105mm @24mm lens - fixed focus.

We hung the rig from a beam and tried to do a 180 degree pan with a car and a 90 degree tilt. Any time we panned the camera 180 degrees from it's majestic centre position and tilted 90 degrees down I would get occislations then the rig would fut out meaning I had to turn the handset and the rig off and power it back up again. This would also happen when I tilted down 90 degrees but kept the majestic centre position.

Balance looked pretty perfect to me. Gains not high enough would be my simple first though? I didn't adjust them because the shot was a bonus and we didn't want to hang about.

Won't really get a chance to try again for a bit but would be curious to know.

Thanks!

Sam

2. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

vibration shouldn't result from low stiffness settings, only too-high settings.

When you're balancing, are you able to hold the roll at various angles other than level?

3. Sam Donaghy Bell

Just about able to hold it. I sits level but may sag to one side a bit. The roll isn't changing though only the pan and tilt.

Thanks,

Sam

4. Brett Harrison

The reason I ask is I find that this test is the final measure of how good your overall balance is, especially if you can do it for various tilt angles. If your vertical, horizontal or fore-aft is off it wont work. If it's sagging and not holding your balance may be off in some way.

5. Sam Donaghy Bell

I'll spend a bit more time balancing the pan maybe next time Everything else is pretty perfect from what I could see!

Thanks,

Sam

6. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

G'Day Sam,

How did you hang the rig? Was there less damping from the way you suspended it?

I have found that when I go from hand held to mounted or suspended on a rope and pulley system the gains have to be reduced because it is stiffer than when I hold onto the handles.

Also as Brett said, balance, balance, and balance again ;)

Cheers
    Chris

7. Sam Donaghy Bell

Yanno Chris that could well have been it. We had it ratcheted to a beam. Basically the lesson seems to be if in doubt balance balance balance and reduce gains!

Thanks guys!

8. Brett Harrison

Yeah I think Chris nailed it. It's interesting that two hands vs. one hand is very significant regarding oscillation. Basically test stiffness settings in situ before the shot.

Chris Fox likes this.