/dist/images/branding/favicon

Occasional Vibration when placing Movi on floor, No vibration When holding

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Azzie Scott, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Azzie Scott

Azzie Scott Member

Ive noticed on occasion after I balance my movi and perform a autotune, everything is flowing nice, but then when I place on the floor sometime it starts to vibrate. When I touch the ring or pick it up, vibration stops, but when I place it back on ground or table or I let go of ring and vibration starts again, usually in Pan motor. Why?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Azzie: It's best to "tune it as you use it" -- in other words, Autotune works better if you hold the MoVI as you plan to use it and then do the Autotune -- it's measuring the amount of mass in motion and the resonant frequencies of that mass -- and that changes when you make changes to how the MoVI is being supported/held, and it can cause those vibrations to occur.

You may find that you need to do an Autotune, and then manually fine-tune it depending on what kit you have mounted on the MoVI.

Hope that helps.
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Azzie Scott

Azzie Scott Member

Ok great, I will give it a try. I have a second question,
    when I charge one of my Movi batteries, the charger led light flashes red and green when its complete instead of a solid green. What does this mean?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmmm. Not sure. Checking on the red/green question.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks to Bryan Edmonds of FF for the information: the red/green is the final stage of charging when the internal battery cells are being balanced so that the voltages match. What should happen is that the period of red/green flashing should terminate with a solid green when the battery is fully charged.

He also sent this reference to "How can I get the most out of my MoVI Pro Batteries?"

Of particular note:

• The cells only balance at the end of the charge cycle, thus it is important periodically to leave the batteries on the charger for an extended period of time (1 hour+), to balance the cells. We recommend once a week.
    • To make sure that cells are properly balanced, you should avoid removing the batteries from the charger pre-maturely, before the light turns to solid green.
    • Cells should be stored at 50% discharge when left for one week or more.
    Hope this helps!

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

6. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Are you placing it on a hardwood or tile floor and getting the vibrations? Or carpet?

If it's on a slippery surface, it could be the Pan Motor is having to fight that movement, and may cause vibrations. I assume in order to function, the Pan Motor has to push against something to keep the camera pointed in one direction, and in its case, it pushes against the ring. If the ring can shimmy on the floor, this could be the cause of your vibrations.

By placing a firm grip on the ring, you help give the Motors something solid to work against and reduce any loose-ness in the structure of the gimbal.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Graham's correct -- by placing a firm grip on the ring you alter the resonant frequencies that the Autotune is measuring and thus you'll get different results -- probably lower stiffness values and thus less likely to vibrate when you let go of the MoVI.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™