/dist/images/branding/favicon

No FC Communication Error during flight

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Michael Brown, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Michael Brown

Michael Brown New Member

Hey Guys,

I had a super scary experience while flying today in the dessert! During a flight my MX-20 said there was an Signal Loss and at the time I was pretty far away so I was using GPS and my CS8 started to jolt and randomly move out of control! Luckily I was able to flip it back into Manual and return it safely back. But now every time I turn the copter on and set the Gyros I get an Error message that reads No FC Communication. I tried one more flight, it works and performs great close to the Transmitter, but as I move further away it loses signal again and I can tell I dont have full control of the copter. There seems to be a distinct distance where it is losing signal, and needless to say until I asked you guys what maybe the solution I am hesitant to fly again! I connected the copter to MK Tools and there are no Error Codes in the program, MK Tools seems to verify everything is working properly. Even the Poti controls from the MX-20 are working as expected as I move sticks and flip switches. I just discovered in the thread below this a great resource Gary posted on Error codes and solutions, and I will be spending tonight researching possible solutions. Though, any help would be amazing and greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Michael Brown

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

As always, if you have a microSD card in your MK Navi board, please post the GPX file from your flight so we can have a look at what the copter thought was going on.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Also post the log file from your MX-20. That will have more data about what is going on withe the TX/RX. Also post photos of how you have the RX mounted on the copter.

4. Michael Brown

Michael Brown New Member

Hey Guys,

First off thank you so much for reaching out! So when the Signal Loss happened I was flying outside of Las Vegas on the border of a neighborhood and the start of the dessert. I tried taking off around 6 times and every time there was a signal loss! I live in Los Angles and went out this morning for a test flight and surprisingly enough I could replicate the problem! I flew past the point where I was losing signal in Vegas and it didn't seem to have any issue, and I am not seeing the Error No FC Communication when I set the Gyros before take off. So to me that could only mean one thing, some sort of interference issue! I was in an area where lots of huge transmission lines come down from the Hover dam into Las Vegas but these lines were a good 1/2 mile to 1 mile away. But I do know that in the dessert they still use Microwaves to communicate in places, could either of these be causing the issue? So I am going to post two GPX files from Vegas in this post where I was having the Signal Loss, then I'll post the GPX file from this morning in Los Angeles in a separate post below. Sorry I didn't have the Micro SD in my MX-20 at the time but I learned my lesson and it's in there now! Thanks so much for any words of wisdom you could pass on!

Thanks,
    Michael Brown

Attached Files:

5. Michael Brown

Michael Brown New Member

Then here is the GPX file from Los Angeles this morning!

Attached Files:

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Consider getting the Rabbit ear thingy from QC to get the RX elevated above the frame. Also the antenna need to be at a approximately a 90 degree angle to each other. Looks like they are basically side by side.

For the MX-20 SD look through the forum on how to enable the logging of the SD card. Basically you need to turn on the timers in the MX-20. If they are already running you should be good, just try a flight and check the card. If not then they need to be activated.

You can read the log files in the Graupner Studio software.

7. Michael Brown

Michael Brown New Member

Great thanks! I'll spread these antennas apart for now and I'll get those Rabbit ears, cause I don't want this to ever happen again! Is there anything unusual about the GPX files?

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Not that I saw but they don't have the data on the TX/RX that is available from the Graupner. Says you lost RC but only for a couple of seconds.