/dist/images/branding/favicon

Nick balance issues with Go Pro 3

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Dave King, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I know this might sound ridiculous but I'm mounting a Go Pro 3 on a 3 axis gimbal but I wanted to do initial tests with a lower cost camera. I don't have any test flights with the gimbal yet and I didn't want to put a heavier more expensive camera on it just yet. I was able to balance the Go Pro 3's roll really good but I"m having a very hard time balancing the Nick/Tilt of the Go Pro 3. I have the belt off and it seems like no matter how I have the plate, position of the camera on the plate I can't get the camera to stay where it is because there's no weight on the front and no weight on the back. Has anyone had any experience with this? I have the CG of the gimbal really good I will just need to make final adjustments depending upon how I setup the balance of the nick for the camera.

Any suggestions?

2. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Dave, I wouldn't worry too much about 100% balance on the nick axis with the GP3. That camera is so small and lightweight I seriously doubt it will affect stabilization performance. I think the servos would operate as if nothing is on the tray:) You can raise the GP3 some on the camera tray by mounting it on some sort of platform to get the lens near the tilt's center rotation. I'd personally just leave it as is and fly:)

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I was able to actually get it a lot better but I understand what you are saying thanks.