/dist/images/branding/favicon

Newbie Graupner charging question....

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Dean Roczen, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Dean Roczen

Dean Roczen New Member

Charging my MX20 for the first time,directly to the transmitter, according to the directions (powered off, do not interrupt charging, etc..)

Manual says about 12 hours for a complete charge, not a problem there. The manual states:

"you must yourself ensure that the charging process is terminated when it should be.."

My question is this, how am i supposed to know when the charging is completed? With the unit powered down, there isnt really even a way for me to confirm that it IS charging, let alone complete.

Manual has me spooked to take it off charge too early, scared to leave it on too long :):):):):)

Thanks, DeanR

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Ive had mine on for over 12 hours before without any issue. Just unplug it as close to the 12 hour point as you can.

Josh

Dean Roczen likes this.
  3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

4. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Ohhhh I might need to get that!

Do you still charge it in the TX or do you need to plug it in to a charger?

Josh

5. Steve Maller

Charges inside the Tx with the stock charger. There is an adjustment on the transmitter to tell it that you have a different type of battery pack. You need to make sure to set that setting, or else the transmitter will think the voltage is too low.

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Or you can make up/buy a servo share adapter and charge it on your LiPo Charger.

7. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

I purchased a LI-FE battery and the battery life is so much better. Yes Steve is right, you do need to change the battery type and I also believe you need to do this for each model within your Tx.

8. Dean Roczen

Dean Roczen New Member

thanks for the advice everyone. got mine al charged up, now on to trying to learn it!

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Steve just a quick note on using a LiFe battery. You will get little to no warning of it running out of power. That's the downside to them and why LiPo's are preferred. And if the battery dies, well lets hope the fail safe works. Keep them charged and they are better than the NiCd's.

10. Steve Maller

But isn't the battery pack I posted a LiPo? I'm confused...:confused:

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Steve sorry. Meant to respond to Sam's comments about the LiFe battery he has. Before Graupner came out with the LiPo the alternative to the standard NiCd's was to use a LiFe. Hyperion has a 2S that fit well into the Mx-20. Two drawbacks. One the end of charge behavior which can be managed by re-charging after a pre-determined amount of time, not using the battery level alarm in the MX-20. The other is that it is 6.6v. The NiCd is 4.8V and the LiPo is 3.7v. So with the LiFe most folks simply inserted a small RECOM to bring it down to 5V. Plenty of room in the battery compartment for the RECOM. I used an ARCH SR78-5S sold by most of the copter dealers.

12. Steve Maller

Thanks for clearing that up. All the more reason to go with an approved Graupner solution. :)