/dist/images/branding/favicon

NEW U7 motor tmotor

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by kjetil tønnesen, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Chakradhar Raju

Hi Andy,
    The distributor refused to take returns and the company Tiger too refused to acknowledge that something is faulty in the motor..I had to lodge dispute claim on Paypal for returns but in vain..

Many would on the forum that how U7 490 KV is performing..

2. Lance Robb

Lance Robb New Member

Hi Bryan, It's hovering with around 57% throttle in no wind

3. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

Hello Chakradhar,

I have done a lot of testing lately with my U7 490KV and they are actually performing really really well. I have no complaint about them. I have done long term testing (running few hours now on different powers) and stressing them with fast accelerations etc. in my studio and not a single failure. I'm quite sure all issues we know are more like ESC compatibility issues or guys have ruined coils with too long bolts etc classic. :)

What i really like in U7, they are accelerating really fast with heavier props like xoar 17X6, it would definitely affect to flight stability especially if using DJI electronics, if compared to smaller but more efficient motors. Like in many situations, i think we need to choose between efficiency and performance.

Kari

4. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

Speaking of U7 motors, I have "heard" from a few sources you have to watch the bottom bolt design, that it can come off? This motor has an allen head bolt that keeps the center shaft in place, instead of a clip. Has anyone heard or seen this happen?

5. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Chris,

I have heard that about the U7s from someone who flies them and also experienced the same issue with a U5. Completely caught me off guard. I heard a clicking noise after a few flights one day and found the bottom bolt had completely come off a top motor of an X8 config. The only thing holding the motor bell on was the force of the magnets - and it was flying that way! Crazy. Lesson learned. Add a new check to the list of things to inspect during routine maintenance.

Michael

6. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

Michael McVay, So at this moment, I am about to order either U7's or KDE's. I fly 27lbs in X8 config, with A2 and Castle Edge lite 50 esc's. Which way do i go?!

7. Michael McVay

Chris, what do you plan on using for props, batteries and what are you targeting for flight time?

8. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

Props i have 17X6 Tiger motor carbon, and batteries I have been using the 8000 x2 but am open to new suggestions. I really want 8-9 min of flight time, with 25% left on battery at landing.

9. Michael McVay

I just put together a new X8 using the KDE 4014s - still flying it a little lighter (low 20s - lbs) and am getting 8 minutes on a single 10,000 6 cell with plenty left on landing - probably 30-35%. I'll be switching it over to a heavier payload soon and flying a second battery. I am flying Tiger 18s for props. Its not 100% dialed in on gains, but flies really well.

The guy who flies the U7s is flying at 34 pounds (also a DJI X8). Not sure what he uses for batteries or gets for light time though. With as much thrust as the U7s have, seems like you could add batteries to get the flight time you are targeting.

There are a couple people flying KDEs on MK with X8s now too. You should be able to get some more ideas as other people post replies for you.

10. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

Wow that's amazing. 8 minutes on a 10,000? What esc's are you using?

11. Michael McVay

Yeah, but remember I am flying lighter than you are until I put my M5 and a heavier camera on.

I am flying the Freefly motor control set. Its a little different than my other CS8 with MK (4 cell rig), but the timing adjustment on the ESCs range from 0 - 28 degrees (8 options) and from what I am understanding about timing is that it has a lot to do with the balance of efficiency vs. torque on the motor. KDE specs indicate their motors like timing from 5-15 degrees, but recently there was a post saying they like 22 degrees. Maybe they like 22 degrees if working harder or lifting heavier weights and lower timing for longer lighter weight flights.

I'm still working on getting the right settings for how I will fly it.

12. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

I see. I don't know much about the Castles i have installed but i know i can change settings. It just has numbers with no description. Factory Multirotor says 5, but I can type in any setting i want. Do you think its timing?

13. Michael McVay

I have no idea. I would not start changing anything until you know for sure what it is and what you expect the results to be after the change. I'm sure someone else who flies them will have a better idea for you.

14. Aj White

Aj White Member

I am running the U5's and yes this has happened 3 times for me.. luckily my frame design prevents the screw from coming completely out. Disassemble and then loctite them first.

15. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

That's super lame. I'll definitely NOT get the U series then. I actually ordered them yesterday, but will cancel and go with KDE.

Howard Dapp likes this.
  16. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Yes, it is SUPER lame. It's also advised to not tighten the shaft screw too tight because it will compress the bearing.

17. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

Why not just use some loctite on the bolt...simple and effective.

18. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

True. Does anyone here advance the timing for the U7's? I hear 22 degrees is good, but wanted to hear from someone who actually has done it.

19. Lance Robb

Lance Robb New Member

From T-Motor

We suggest the setting is low timing, below 15 degree.
    PWM is 8Khz or 12Khz.
    You can test the setting on bench and then flight.

Best regards

Darrell Song
    Sales & Tech Department

20. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

I use settings below for U7 and Castle 75A esc and looks like they are working good for me.

Motor start power: low 39
    Timing Low 0
    12Khz