/dist/images/branding/favicon

New Tiger Motor Carbon Fiber Props

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Josh Lambeth, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I just ordered a set of the new T-Motor Carbon Fiber 15x5 props. These props are specifically designed for use on multi-rotors and from what I have been hearing have a 10-15% increase in efficiency over any other props being used. Im hoping I will have them by this weekend to test out. Once I do I will be doing comparison tests to see if they are that much better.

I should note that I am having to switch all my prop-adaptors from 8mm to 6mm to fit the bore on these props... so that added another $70ish to the total cost of the upgrade.

Here are some pictures for you:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Josh

2. kjetil tønnesen

3. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

It's nice to fix the props in two different ways. The similar props from HiModel or RC Timer can only be fitted with two screws and this kind of mounting is not available on every motor.

The tips of the propeller looks like curved. I'm wondering if the curves are the reason of efficiency?

Another note: Tiger props are produced by these guys: http://www.falconpropellers.com/ One guy over RCGroups sanded the props and saw Falcon brand on them.

Martin Larsen likes this.
  4. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Josh do you need longer booms to run 15" props?

5. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

The curves at the ends are to reduce the vortex created by the props and will for sure reduce the drag and be more efficient. It works like winglets on a normal wing.
    These props look wery nice!!

G

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave you need 500mm booms. Think Josh already did this with his HL project.

7. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

Hi Josh they will start production in 10 days I think correct?

8. Josh Lambeth

Hey Guys,
    Sorry for the late response. Been out of town. My props will be here on Monday. I was hoping they would be here yesterday or today but they got out late on Wednesday. :(

I am running 500mm booms already on my copter. I had to order new 6mm prop adaptors for my motors though since these are 6mm bores but my current prop adaptors are 8mm.

Josh

9. George Mosko

George Mosko New Member

I have the tmotor navigator 4014 's and the 15" carbon props, the ones that i got came up perfectly balanced on my dubro. They are stunning to look at, and if you get the motors, the mount makes it look even nicer. i havent flown them, but i spooled one up and they are quiet. the 15's are also about 40% lighter than graupner 14" props.

10. George Mosko

George Mosko New Member

we flew our tmotor 4014's and carbon props today. it was pretty windy and we were a little nervous as our wookong is having difficulties. but overall they seem quite different to anything i have ever flown. they definitely make an interesting sound. they do seem a little lazy compared to the graupner 14" props. we are running them on our 5s cs8 batteries, but plan on getting some 6s later. we decided to run them on our tarot 1000mm test frame before we put them on the cs8. with 2 5s 6200 batts and a fully loaded 3 axis gimbal with an fs100 on it got us over 8 minutes in the wind before we hit 19v. i definitely see these as props for slower type flying no sudden moves type stuff.

11. Josh Lambeth

Hey Guys,
    Finally got some flight time with my new props. I had the complete opposite from what George had. These props are amazing! They are much quicker on the reaction times (guessing it's because each one weighs half of what the Xoars did) and they are much quieter.

Gary asked for me to watch what the hover throttle value was between the two props.

With the Xoar 15x5's I was hovering at 198 in MK Tools (im guessing it's high because of that stupid converter). This was fully loaded, 5dMKII, No wind, and dual 5000mAh 6s. After hovering for a bit I landed, and swapped all the props. I should mention that I did have to swap the prop adaptors as well since the Xoars I was running were 8mm and the TMotor CF's are 6mm. Another issue I ran into was since the CF Props are much thinner then the Xoars I need to run extra spacers in order to tighten down the props enough. I am looking into another solution for the spacers though since I didn't have anything in 6mm to work with.

After mounting the CF props, I went back out and did another flight. I was still using the same batteries as before. The temp had risen about 7-8*F and was about 90*F outside. My new throttle hover number was 158! So if my math is correct that would be a 19% increase in efficiency at hover over the Xoars.

Oh and I didn't balance these CF props... but there wasn't any vibrations coming from the copter that I could see. The copter is flying much better now with these compared to the Xoars. Time will tell but I am extremely happy with these props.

A few pictures for you:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Josh

Jordi Cristofol likes this.
  12. Scott Loeschner

Scott Loeschner New Member

Nice, Josh! I remember talking about CF props with you, months ago... I'm glad it's working out well. Hopefully I won't be too far a away from a heavy lift config with those props as well.

Cheers

SL

13. Josh Lambeth

Hey Guys,
    I thought I would give a little update on the props. I have done 4 jobs on them now, one of which was roughly 30 flights carrying an EPIC. The rest were carrying a 5D. I can tell you these props are 100% worth every penny. The copter behaves much better then it did before and I seem to be getting slightly longer flight-times out of them. In windy conditions my copter used to buck around and be really hard to fly, now it flies much smoother (im guessing this is due to the fact that the motors can change their speed quicker then before since there is less mass to swing). Another interesting note is I can descend a lot quicker now without the copter going crazy. Im wondering if this is due to the tips being tapered a bit? No idea but I know i can drop the copter down much quicker then before. All in all I love these props!

Josh

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Josh:
    Might it be possible for you to post a "shopping list" with the URLs of what you bought for this prop upgrade? It would be good to know what you did for the spacers ultimately?

Thanks
    Andy.

15. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

Hi Josh rhett look like the same i have do you know the diference between the old and new? Also I seen you have 3515 what was your solution for fixing it as the prop mount don't have tread all the way ddow? Cheers

16. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

I don't wan't to disappoint you guy's but we tested them on efficiëntie and the numbers where a bit lower than we hoped for.

[​IMG]

As reference the Xoar 14x6 prop

Martin Larsen likes this.
  17. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

So at the same thrust they consume more power. While they may be smoother that is an interesting tradeoff. But it isn't a like to like on the prop pitch. And Josh's 'real' world is a Xoar 15x5 vs T-Moto 15x5 and saw a pretty significant decrease in required throttle (198 down to 158) with an increase in density altitude.

18. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Hi Josh in case you have not bought them here are the correct prop mounts for your CF props I just bought 8 of the 14/5 and will be comparing them against Xoar 14/4 on a regular CS8
    Summer is on Its way and for me like Josh among the other performance advantages, if I also can lower the temps of my Bl,s a few degrees is a win hopefully thats the case too

http://clubheli.com/Tiger-Motors-an...-Prop-Adapter-for-MT28xx-MT-35xx-MT-40xx.html

19. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

Its all because the TM propeller is just a flat curved design (spoon) and the Xoar's have a real airwing designed profile thats give a lot less resistance and better lift, especially at higher rpm.

20. Josh Lambeth

Jose, Are you flying the MT3515s? If so it says these prop adaptors will NOT fit the 3515s.

Josh