/dist/images/branding/favicon

New owner Assistance

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Ben Joslin, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

You change MISC : Min Gas.

But the larger question is why would you want to change this?

Andy.

2. justin portwood

justin portwood New Member

it was just a thought from some of the things i have been reading around the boards.. (so much info out there)ill take it out and see how it does thanks again
    and ill let you guys know how the first flight went

3. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Have you done a compass calibration?

Or flying near metal objects or trying to start motors inside your compass will not let you spoil up the motors with the "ignore compass errors on take-off" not ticked either. Just a thought

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Good point, Jason. I was wondering about that, but somehow had got the impression that Justin had done a compass calibration.
    The symptom, Justin, is that the motors spin at idle and, as you advance the throttle, the motors spin up faster, but quickly hit a "flat point" where no matter how much further you advance the throttle, the motors will not increase speed.

Check the main MK Tool Screen. Any sign of a compass error?
    Andy.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

6. Jason Smoker

Andy I have had happen to me before i learned about the "ignore compass errors on take-off". Trying to take off on a metal plate the motors just spin up to like 25% then nothing no matter how much gas you give it.

Or you have bad compass calibration same thing will happen but you probably get some sort of error, lights would flash and you would hear the compass sound maybe?

http://gallery3.mikrokopter.de/var/albums/MKBilder/Beepcode_Compass_Error.WAV?m=1411130825

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You're right Jason -- it's been several years since I had that happen to me.
    Andy.

8. Jason Smoker

Oh i just had another thought, if this is a new set-up on your dx8 you have to check your travel is "0" to "254".

Otherwise it can cause trouble. My servo settings are set at 112 for each channel on my dx8.

it is explained here

http://wiki.mikrokopter.de/en/Erstinbetriebnahme/Step9

9. justin portwood

thank you all for the replys
    ok so got it running all is good but... and there is a but, i went through and checked level on everything before going out to fly. so i went and tried to fly today and when i took off as it was going up it was traveling foreward i tried a few times and still same result, so after last set down kinda hard and a nose tip to the ground i killed motors. i am now taking the gimble off and re leveling the motors and making sure all the screws etc are tight (as i noticed a few of the motors were out of level after the nose hit the ground). the only thing i can think of is that not everything was tight or i was not completly level, i thought i was level (I leveled the battery plate in both directions, oh and i am a key/grip in the film industry so you guys know what i do) but if that was the case why would it only go foreward/north (i pointed boom 1 to the north just so you guys know how i had it).
    I checked everything in mk tools and had it set up right i thought.
    Any thoughts from you all as to what i should do besides re level everything and try again

oh and the motor thing i didnt know it was a 2 stick process. got it now

10. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Easy check on the motors being level. Rotate the prop blades on adjacent motor and the tips should align. Do that all the way around. Also when you apply power to lift off, if it tips over then either you have one or more motors not rotating in the proper direction based on their boom location or a reversed prop.

11. justin portwood

thank you i will do the tip thing first but i dont think i explained the foreward motion correctly its like i am pusing the right stick foreward, but i am not touching the stick just throttle and actually pulling back so it dosent go foreward,and i have boom 1 in the direction it is going, its not really tiping over, so when i lift off it gets in the air but as its going up it is traveling foreward like it would do if i was actualy pushing the stick up. does that make since?
    thanks for geting back to me

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I suspect the problem is that you need to recalibrate the ACC (not the gyros -- you do that every flight). If the ACC is re-calibrated when the flight controller is not perfectly level you have just "baked in" an error -- the Flight Controller now has a false idea of what level is.

So make sure the Flight Controller itself (or the battery tray) is completely level. Take the frame set (booms/motors) off the gimbal and lay it on a table and then use partial pads of Post-Its to shim it until the battery tray is completely level -- measure with a spirit level across the short and the long axis of the battery tray -- and then calibrate the ACC. See http://wiki.mikrokopter.de/en/Erstinbetriebnahme/Step12

Andy.

13. Jason Smoker

I am with Andy do a recalibration here is a nice short video to help you also check your trim buttons are 0 on the dx8 they are really easy to bump foward

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah....good point Jason. More than one person (including me) has discovered off-center trim-induced copter drift....

Andy.

15. justin portwood

Copy that guys I have taken the gimble off and this morning I'm going to go back through and level everything again and thank you about the acc. I did that I thought but I don't think I did it correctly, I did it in the house before flying and again when I went outside so that makes sense now, it needs to be done every time on level ground correct? And jason I checked they are at 0 that is the one thing I'm very ocd about it scares me if all the switches are not in the correct position I constantly check thank you again for the advise I will let you all know what happens.
    Thanks again justin
    I'm gonna be here a lot I love this forum very helpful

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Justin: Yes, the FC (or the battery tray acting as a proxy for the FC) must be absolutely level when you calibrate the ACC. However, you only need to calibrate the ACC once. The only time you need to recalibrate the ACC is if you dismount/remount the FC.

In contrast, you need to recal the gyros every time before you fly.

And, while we're talking recals, you need to recalibrate the compass each time you fly at a new location -- however, be very careful to be distant from large metal objects (including concrete with re-bar in it) when you do a calibration otherwise you can "bake in" a compass error.

If you don't know how to interpret GPX files, Google for MK_GPXTOOL -- and this is your big moment to learn about GPX files! :)
    Get into the habit of checking GPX files after each day's flying -- if the copter is heading for problems, it will telegraph that fact in the GPX files.

Andy.

17. justin portwood

Ok copy that thanks this helps a lot. And I'll watch that video
    Thank you again justin

18. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Andy - have you ever tried the in-flight re-calibraiton that came out a few firmware versions ago?

My pilot and I keep talking about it but we're too chicken to hand over complete control to the drone while it re-calibrates. Curious if anyone has tried it.

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Derek:
    Nope. I've never seen the need to run the risk of transforming a non-emergency situation into a crash! :)

Andy.

20. justin portwood

Hi all its been a while but I started a new show and have been working so I didn't get to fly till today. I went flying and made sure everything was totally level and everything went great nice and smooth. My question now is I was about 8' up and caught a gust of wind and started heading towards a tree on a hill so I got nervous and turned around and ended up sitting it down a little hard with a bounce and a half flip which rotated my #8 motor. I shut it down realigned the blade tips all the way around and started flying again but this time a few seconds in I got a really bad wobble so I landed again and again kinda hard and #8 was rotated again and noticed the battery was not centered on the tray anymore, I didn't notice it before second flight at this point I stopped flying for the day and lined everything back up again and tightened everything and added more Velcro to keep the battery from sliding anymore. Could the battery not being centered on the tray have caused the wobble or is there something else I should be checking
    Thanks guys for the help