/dist/images/branding/favicon

New Motor? Or new bearings?

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Ben Freedman, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

Howdy...

So, in my continuing saga, it appear at that least three of my motors are making much louder vibration noises after just 5-6 flights. These are the standard QC motors with the C8 kit...

May I pose a few questions?

1) Should I see bearing noise after just a few flights like this? No crashes or anything...
    2) Are they under warranty? Should QC be replacing these?
    3) It seems crazy that a new motor is $90, but new bearings are $30! Wow! Sorry, not a question.
    4) Is it a good idea to replace the bearings with $30 ones? I've heard these motors are from China and not that great. Not sure on that point, but I've heard it. Happy to be refuted...
    5) Would it be a better idea to just buy a better quality motor overall that'll come with new bearings?
    6) If 5, then what is a good motor that's a direct replacement for the stock QCs?

Sorry for all the questions... Many thanks to those who can answer! :)

Best,

Ben

Benjamin Freedman
    PrimeImage Media
    480-399-0000 - direct
    480-240-9270 - office
    866-549-6051 - fax
    ben@PrimeImageMedia.com
    www.PrimeImageMedia.com

2. Pavlos Antoniou

can you turn it and take a video..! are you sure??

Do you hear something like that??

Also its better to go for warranty first and then for bearings..! QC are good quality motors..!
    You can buy bearings for 20$ Abec 5..! the Abec 7 is not needed here..!

Its better to go for bearings and not for motor..!

3. Ben Freedman

Ben Freedman Member

I'll take a video of it next chance I get, and post the results with sound... :)

Best,

Ben

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ben

1. Video one with the mic close so we can hear it. That would help. And I know you've got the equipment to do a dynamite video with overlays, multiple views, great graphics, maybe even music and a model using hand gestures like Price is Right....
    2. Ask QC.
    3. The standard motors come with EZO bearings. EZO's are fine bearings and used worldwide. Standard EZO's are about $4-5 each and have an ABEC rating of 3. Nothing really wrong with them. Boca Bearings sells 3 grades if you look at their page. First level is steel. Basically a replacement for the EZO's, about $9 each. But are stated to be ABEC 5 rating so 'better' than stock EZO's. The next two are Ceramic. More expensive due to the materials. Top of the line has dust caps. And has an ABEC 7 rating.
    4. Lots of opinions pro/con on what to do. The motors from China are high quality when bought from trusted suppliers like QC.
    5. Your call but check out the weights of Axi's and the price of Plettenburgs and then look around at all of the pros flying the QC's.
    6. Folks seem to have good reviews of the RCTiger Motors. They have similar motors in a large variety of ranges depending on what you need to lift and your battery/prop setup.

5. Pavlos Antoniou

Boca has EZO on stock too that are Abec 5...!
    http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/Radial-Bearings/2364/4x11x4-SMR694ZZ5

these are Abec 5 EZO..! I bought them now and they seem great..!!

I dont hear anything and there is NO play AT ALL...!

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Pavloz those are the two bearings that included in the two bearing kit. But they are Boca's brand not made by EZO.

7. Pavlos Antoniou

THey Sold them AS EZO for me...! THEY TOLD ME THAT THESE are EZO..!

BTW they are great...!!!

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Pavlos they might be. Do they have EZO stamped on the side metal? If they are EZO's and stamped then they are a bit over priced. Just don't see the stamping in their photos online. I bought the mid-line ceramics when I needed to do replacements.

Would be good to hear from others what they are using for replacements. Are the ceramics a bit overhyped? Are the the modern equivalent of snake oil, at least in our application?

9. Pavlos Antoniou

No they dont have.. and i sent them email..1 THese are the EZO ABEC 5....!

In order to now i had the mid price with ceramic balls but they were Abec1 instead of Abec 5 and they sent me these EZO..!
    They seem good and better from stock!

What i undestood is..! YOu buy a lot of stock bearings and you change.. If the stock is good and not damaged then you will be ok for alotttttt Flights..!