/dist/images/branding/favicon

New MK Firmware (Beta 0.91 as of 14.06.2013)

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Steve Maller, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Settings - Advanced - Language - check box Offer to translate pages that aren't in a language I read.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

No, I just went to http://translate.google.com/ and pasted in the URL.
    Just like magic. :D

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Steve the question from Dave a couple of questions ago was how to get Google Chrome to do it automatically. The timing always gets stuff out of sequence.

5. Dave King

Thanks guys, that worked great.

6. Steve Maller

So that's what the "Reply" button is for, right? :)

7. Steve Maller

Hey guys...
    Ziggy over at MikroKopter.us wrote a long post about Firmware 2.00 and claims that it causes the Navi board to be far more sensitive to EMI, and therefore prone to interference from motor and/or LiPo wires. Could it possibly be the increase in sampling rate that's creating a boundary condition? Not sure, but like I've said before, I do have good performance with PH and 2.00a on my "stock" Cinestar 8.
    Read here if you're interested: http://www.mikrokopter.us/the-gener...ect-after-firmware-upgrade/msg44312/#msg44312

8. Steve Maller

One more thing...I have been thinking about the whole 2.00a firmware problem and today I re-read MK's list of changes to the code, and one jumped out at me. (just posted this on the mikrokopter.us site, too)

I'm particularly suspicious of one change that took place in the newer firmware, which is listed as "increased NC-SPI communication from 25Hz to 41Hz". I'm an old software guy, but I know a little about hardware, and I wonder if maybe the increased sampling rate is either resonating with something, or possibly pushing one or more components beyond its capabilities in certain circumstances. I'm thinking of finding a way to rebuild the firmware with just that one change backed out and see if the Position Hold performance improves. Or maybe I can convince somebody who actually has the SDK and code downloaded to do this?

9. Dave King

Thanks Steve. I just responded to that post as well. BTW, you asked for pictures of my setup here they are.
    MK20-1.jpg
    MK20-2.jpg

mk20-33.jpg

10. Dave King

I saw that immediately when it was released and thought to myself "This will hopefully make the GPS better with quicker response time through the increased sampling rate." You could be correct though maybe its just pushing something that was on the edge over to the point where it's causing this issue.

Since there are some people that are not experiencing issues, and some are, it would be interesting to see if the people that have experienced issues are running dual battery setups like myself with a Y cable. i wonder if the extra length of the Y cable is producing extra large amounts of RF. After all the Y cable is not twisted or heat shrunk its it is a little larger in length than necessary. I think you are running dual batteries and not having issues so that probably would sink my theory.

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Perhaps this just emphasizes that MK strongly focuses on its own copter line which are by no means heavy lifters.

12. Steve Maller

Yeah, I believe there's voodoo at work. My setup is similar to yours with 2 8000mAh LiPos in parallel. My battery plate is rotated 90° from how yours is, so my LiPo wires are even closer to the Navi stack than yours are. The only thing I see here that makes me curious is the proximity of your ribbon cables to the motor wires. But not sure that's an issue, either. We're really grasping at straws here.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Steve: I don't think the NC code is open source....I might be mistaken, but certainly there are the parts that implement the commercial licensing that are not published, as I recall.

Andy.

14. Dave King

Exactly, which is why we need Synapse right Tabb? :D

Colin Snow likes this.
  15. Dave King

Yes, only Holger really knows what he changed. I really think MK will be just chalking it up to Lipo interference though for a while until enough people convert over to 2.0 and complain about it. You'll probably see a small blurp about it in a few revisions in 6 months that it was corrected. Right now they are more focused on all the unnecessary auto take off and way point flying features than trying to get their product better. It seems like the appeal is to get people that don't know how to fly or are scared to fly to purchase their products than experienced flyers. The appeal is more toward automated flying which doesn't make sense as their consumer grade GPS isn't good enough for these feataures (IMO). If it was everyone would be doing it right?

I just want the extra safety provision of the dual joystick motor cutoff switch feature. It really isn't that big of deal for me any more with the more experience I get as a pilot I'm not finding myself cutting throttle and yawing at the same time. I"m actually more conscious of not desending too rapidly to a point that would stall the motors. I'm thinking about these situations quicker as a pilot which is giving me much more confidence. So maybe its good I"m not using the safety feature. It's forcing to become a better pilot.

Colin Snow likes this.
  16. Steve Maller

Interesting...just hours ago Holger posted a new video on YouTube showing how stable one of his MK octos is with PH on. Nothing else, no shot of how it's configured, other than a mention of "Firmware 2.00d". Sigh.

17. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

"d". Now they're on "d". My head is on fire over this mess.

Steve Maller likes this.
  18. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

I am seeing the same behaviour as described here with nose-in N,E,S,W:
    http://forum.mikrokopter.de/topic-43632-2.html

Very solid in N, NW...ok in W, E... very scarey toilet bowling with nose facing S.

I'm running SW 2.00a on an MK Hexa2

19. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

I notice he makes no yaw maneuver. My PH was a bit washy in any version, but in 2.00a a yaw would engage the bowl effect.

20. Steve Maller

Adam, maybe as one of Holger's distributors (his biggest?) you could scare up a response from him. This is getting a little silly.
    Is your Hexa2's Navi/GPS board out on a boom or above the FC on the hub?