/dist/images/branding/favicon

New MK Firmware (Beta 0.91 as of 14.06.2013)

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Steve Maller, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

Thats why I practice flying all my birds in full manual mode, turns off the GPS and Accelerometers in the wookong. It can be hairy flying it like that but it has saved me several times when the accelerometers screwed up on the first wookong i got. Also when i do my waypoint flights I have all my FPV gear running so if i see something i don't like i take over control and fly her back.

2. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

I am just about to do update and the wiki did a redirect to the latest version V2_00a.

Can I assume this is out of beta and this is a general release?
    Has anyone updated with this version yet?
    Any gotchas?

Colin

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

A few things have come to light. One is the new startup sequence (both sticks down and to the middle), motor off sequence (both sticks down and to the outside), and a bit different behavior, depending on whether you have the FC updated with the new ACC module. There's also some different behavior in PH, which I've managed to flatten out by reducing or zero'ing the Compass Effect in MK Tool

I've been flying it for a while now, and I think it's worth the update.

4. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

Thanks Steve. I'll look for those. Not much flying in this wind eh?

Colin

5. Steve Maller

Spent the day fiddling with the brushless gimbal. Gusts to 30 MPH over here. Yech.

6. Andrew Griffiths

We had a violent and uncommanded FOD in manual mode resulting in the total destruction of our Cinestar 8 HL. Running firmware V2.00. Full investigation is underway and I will let you know once we have a full determination of cause.

7. Steve Maller

Holy crap! So sorry. Whoa. Gulp. Any data you'd care to share? GPX file?

8. Andrew Griffiths

Yeah it's a bit of a bugger. We have grounded all Australian manufactured gear pending results from investigation. Luckily we didn't have the Red onboard!

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I would stay with the early version 0.90j for the moment....I also had uncommanded yaw motions with 2.00a and had to turn the Compass Effect to 0.

I don't plan to use the autotakeoff and autoland either, so I'll wait until there is a consensus that 0.2xx has stabilized. Mind you, I only just moved away from Windows 95 for the same reasons... <evil grin>

Andy.

10. Steve Maller

I've been on 2.0 for a while now, and while I'm still not thrilled with PH performance (I don't use it a lot anyway), the improved AH and overall stability has been quite satisfactory, and much improved over the previous versions. I flew my CS8 on several ambitious flights just yesterday (quite a bit over the ocean), and it performed beautifully.

11. Sebastian Meredith

Sebastian Meredith Active Member

I second those findings Steve. PH a bit sketchy, but hardly ever used, AH is great as well as the general performance during flight. I'm not interested in the auto land and takeoff ... Prefer to be in control of those procedures myself! Only major tuning required is the Compass Effect to 0.

12. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I went back to 0.90J after I didn't like the PH performance. I just wish they did a 90J update that has the new safety stick enhancements without the other stuff.

13. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

G'Day Andy,
    Any update on the cause? I tried V2 of the software on the mine, but reverted to the earlier version, because of PH performance, since then have been pretty happy with it.

Hope you find the root cause.

14. Andrew Griffiths

Yes we're getting there. Word of warning to those who have purchased a complete system. Pull it all apart and check the soldering.

15. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Hmm ... that does not sound good, the boards are coming of mine next week for the conformal coating to go on, so it will get a thorough going over then, which areas did you find the problems with?

16. Andrew Griffiths

All of them. Check every solder point. Just a personal observation and not part of the official report, but it looks like ours was soldered with a hammer and a matchstick.

Sebastian Meredith likes this.
  17. Morgan Friedland

Sorry to hear that. Can you share any pictures?

18. Steve Maller

That's very disturbing. So sorry you had to find out the hard way. My experience with Quadrocopter has been quite the opposite. If you have the ability to work with them (many outside the US do), you'll find them hugely responsive and very quality-oriented. They've been a delight to work with.

19. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Second that ... Quadrocopter had batteries in my hand in Oz in 5 days .... I was happy with that.

20. Andrew Griffiths