/dist/images/branding/favicon

New MK Firmware (Beta 0.91 as of 14.06.2013)

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Steve Maller, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Michael comissiong

Hi Lauri always best to recalibrate arter any major upgrade.

2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

HI Lauri

The new Altitude sensor combined with 90j upgrade should have no effect on your GPS and position hold. It's a different story if you upgrade to 0.91j because there are changes to the GPS parameters. There are really only a few things that can be causing toilet bowl. The compass needs calibrated, noise from the power leads being enduced in the NAV cables, or a change in the GPS settings in MK tools. Did you recalbrate the ACC sensor with the new board by putting your left stick in the upper right hand corner? That shouldn't affect the PH but it should be done anyway.

Also make sure that you remove the settings ini file in the Mini SD card. This should be done any time you do a firmware upgrade or change firmware versions. The copter will write a new setting file to the card upon power up. Another thing to check would be to see if your GPS settings in MK tools are the same after the firmware upgrade. Going to 90J they should have remained but it can't hurt to double check. Make sure your settings in Navi 1 and Navi 2 are the same as before the upgrade especially GPS P, GPS I and GPS D settings. If you ever decide to upgrade to 0.91 the settings will be completely wiped clean so if you plan on making the upgrade to 91L make sure you do a screen shot of all your settings.

If none of this works you can always recalibrate the compass and double check to make sure your power wires are completely away from the navigation cables. Since you reinstalled the flight control board make sure that the 2 boards that led back to the GPS are not touching any power wires such as FPV power or any aux 12v from the flight control board.

3. Lauri Hakala

Lauri Hakala Member

Thanks guys! Yes I recalibrated the ACC after update and I also wiped the sd card clean. Just double checked my old Navi settings and they are all same besides for GPS gain which I had 95% in 0.88n and 100% in 0.90j. I don't know if this small of a difference could be the reason but have to try lowering GPS gain. I'll also try recalibrating compass.

4. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

It's probably moving around too much at 100%. I would lower the gain down to no higher than 90%. Most guys run between 85-90%.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Lauri did you reset all of your previous settings after the upgrade? Many get reset to standard defaults. I think GPS gain is one of those. I have mine at 85% and it got changed to 100 with the upgrade.

6. Lauri Hakala

Lauri Hakala Member

Gary yes my settings were reseted after update, had screenshots of my previous settings, dialed everything in but forgot to change gps gain from default 100% to somewhere around 80-90%. Just dialed it in and will test it again before recalibrating the compass. Thanks for your help again!

Just remembered that it was a windy day when I tested PH with new firmware, so gps gain 100% and some wind should explain this kind of behaviour.

7. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

I can't find the dual stick thing in the settings. Am I missing something obvious? Cant get the motors to start :p

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Zach it is on the Channels Tab, Motor Safety Switch. If it is set to Disabled then you need both sticks. Set it to Off if you want just the left side.

• When a Motor safety switch is used, you don't have to move the Nick/Roll Stick
    • Who should be totally unhappy with this change, but does not want to waste a channel with the safety switch, can enter "OFF" instead of "Disabled" ind the safety-switch option. Then it's like in the old versions.

9. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

Are you using both sticks for start/stop Gary?

10. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

Gary, I'm just getting a single "beep" tone when I start motors, one stick or two. I have it set to disabled and regardless of the checkbox, same results.

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Yes, good safety feature.

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Zach check in MKTools that you are still on parameter set 3, the small number in the bottom are of the screen. Assuming that you are calibrating before flight? Also do you have any of the flags set like SD card required, GPS fix, etc?

13. Zach Beggs

Zach Beggs Member

Ahh, figured it out. It's my dual rate settings -- they're not 100% so dual stick startup wont work for me.

14. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Gary you talk about the upgrade instructions i cant seem to find the one you are talking about?
    There seem to be a number of improvements scattered throughout the upgrade instructions. Data speeds have increased, GPS Login starts in 2 seconds instead of 5 (which may start the data log sooner) and a host of other items. Read it carefully as some of the settings you need are in the text, like GPS parameter defaults​
    can you post a link please

cheers
    Jason

15. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

16. Andrew Griffiths

My apologies if I missed the answer to this but did anyone find out if the CH time can be increased beyond 60 seconds? I really don't like the idea of the copter descending in emergency gas mode before it makes it back to the home position.

17. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Jason yes that's the instruction set. Andrew I saw a discussion on the MK Wiki where he said that regardless of the time that you put in the max was 60 seconds. Just a guess on the thought process. Likely no one envisioned FPV and long distance copter flying. Also if it doesn't get home in 60 seconds better to have a controlled landing than fall out of the sky if the battery is low.

18. Andrew Griffiths

Thanks Gary, yes that's what I figured. I'd feel so much more comfortable with a 120 second max, or no max at all. Similar to the DJI system. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Synapse handles this aspect.

19. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

You have all right to be nervous in these two aspects to trust to a computer. I don't have MK but i do have a full waypoint Wookong and the first time i did a small 4 waypoint flight around my flying field was the most nervous 5 min of my life! But it performed perfectly and the system does full takeoff, flight, and landing. Im now doing 20-30 waypoint flights of various speeds and altitudes, even did one 1.5miles away from takeoff, without even thinking about it, just trust your gear. IF the systems does go crazy at any time you can pause the flight on the computer or flight the mode switch on your Transmitter and have full control back. Not sure if MK has this option but if not it should defiantly be something added.

20. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Paul be careful. Should there be a solar spike while it is in GPS autonomous mode you may see it fly in ways never designed by man. It may go into Come Home mode to China either the long way around or try to direct route through the center of the earth. ;)