/dist/images/branding/favicon

New MōVI Firmware

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Denise Fitzgerald, Jul 15, 2014.

1. The latest version of the firmware (3.08) has been posted here on the main page of the website. Below please find all the new features included. Please note that you will need this version of the firmware in order for your MōVI to communicate with your new MōVI Controller.

In addition to the features noted below, we recently discovered a problem with the previous version of the firmware. All MōVI customers will need to upgrade to the latest firmware (3.08) by Aug 1st to avoid the issue. If you do not upgrade by the specified date your MōVI could cease to function.

Steps for identifying which version of the firmware you are on, are located in the downloaded zip file that contain the firmware. They are also pasted below these release notes. Please make sure that you have full battery power when performing the firmware upgrade so that firmware process is not interrupted as this can cause additional issues.

RELEASE NOTES FOR VERSION 3.08

Autotune
    3.08 introduces the ability to automatically calibrate stiffness settings on a balanced MōVI. To initiate the Autotune function, go to SYSTEM-> Autotune. With the MōVI in the stand and stable, Autotune will go through the steps required to tune the MōVI based on the Autotune Percentage setting under Tuning. It is recommended to use the stock setting of 50% for M10s and 70% for dual cage MōVIs such as the M5.

MōVI Controller Support
    Support added for the release of the Freefly MōVI Controller. Within the Remote Controller Config ->Radio Type menu select MōVI Controller. There is no need to assign functions within the Freefly Configurator app for this type radio. Consult the MōVI Controller manual for more detailed information.

Graupner Radio Support
    We have added the ability to use Graupner radio systems with the line of Freefly MōVI products. Graupner receivers can be connected to the MōVI using the SBUS port. You must also change Radio Type to Graupner in the Freefly Configurator app. Firmware v3.08 supports up to 12 channel mapping with Graupner systems.

Pan/Tilt/Roll Hold Strength Settings
    These values control how strongly each axis follows and holds the commanded position. A higher Hold Strength allows faster panning and tilting in Dual Operator and Majestic Mode, but may cause overshoot with heavier cameras. A lower Hold Strength provides additional smoothing. (See Pan/Tilt Joystick Smoothing and Majestic Pan/Tilt Smoothing for other ways to adjust smoothing on each axis.) The default value (8) works well for a large range of cameras.

Futaba 12 Channel Support
    Futaba Radio Type now supports up to 12 channel mapping.

Additional Updates
    Boot time improved
    Parked Airborne mode improved
    Tilt beam compensation for incorrect reassembly

Instructions to Find Your Firmware Version

Connect to the MoVI via the GUI. Click on the Freefly logo in the top left of the Freefly Configurator (for Mac and Android...Click on "About" for the PC) and a popup window will appear with the information (see examples in the uploaded images).

Attached Files:

Matthew Macomber likes this.
  2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

3. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Hi.
    Having trouble updating the firmware on a Samsung tablet. When clicking the FF logo in top left corner, there isn't any further info to tell us how or where to download the update. We didn't do the last update as I read about quite a few issues, so held off knowing that a fix for those glitches would surely be coming. Hope you can advise for this latest update.

Garry

4. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

is there a how to somewhere?

5. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Couldn't see one Jason. I downloaded the package from the FF site to my laptop then opened the read me file for instructions. All good until it was downloading the file to the Movi unit, then it crashed. It seems that when it crashed it had uninstalled the existing firmware and now when we try again the laptop can't find the device [movi] so nothing to pair too. Frustrating and not sure what to do. Hopefully there'll be someone out there who has had the same issue and found a way to recover the existing OS.

cheers
    Garry

6. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

The instructions I found in the zip folder.

OK so I found this from the last upgrade

http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/new-firmware-3-07-for-mōvi-m10.3742/.
    I download dropbox and transfer the files that way onto my nexus 7 then hey presto it worked transfer file into FreeFly->Firmware folder within the Android itself it worked. You can see the file ready to upgrade under the system tab then update firmware. press ok and bam update completed!! :)

7. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Hold - nicely done guys, just the thing :)

8. Andrea Cecchini

Do it now. Perfect!!

9. Arthur Vieira

Arthur Vieira Flight Squad

I've just installed the New Firmware on my M5 and M10 and as first "feeling" it seems to be less strong than before specially in the Pan.
    I'm feeling this on the M10 with a 5D. Later today we will try the M5 with the GH4.
    I would appreciate to hear other opinions also.

10. Rich Spiess

Rich Spiess Guest

The firmware instructions are in the Zip file in a folder called "Firmware update Manuals" please read these instructions before attempting the firmware update. If you have any questions or issues please email us at Freefly Systems Tech Support.

The email address is support@freeflysystems.com

11. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Yo Freefly'ers, I have a question about the "Auto Tune" feature:
    Can one utilize it when the M5 is converted for aerial use with the MR kit? Mine will still (sort of) fit on the stand, but it requires that I spin the legs out of the way, and clearly the pan balance is way off at that point. Thanks!

12. Hi Garry. Sorry to hear about the trouble. I am having a Tech Support Engineer reach out to you via email to help you resolve the issue.

Cheers,
    Denise

13. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Steve, you can just suspend the copter. The main point is for the Mōvi to be stable and free so the auto tune isn't getting any unwanted interruptions.

14. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Or if you have the TinH then throw the handles on it and auto tune (an edit) while holding the handle bars. That should get you reasonable settings if you don't have a convienent way to hang the whole rig.

Steve Maller likes this.
  15. Chris Watters

Chris Watters New Member

Chris Watters
    Jul 16 16:58
    I downloaded 3.08 for Movi5 and tried to install it and the software alerted me that the system is connected but not responding. Now my Movi5 will not start up. All three green lights come on for 2 seconds and they go off. Any ideas?

16. Caveman

Caveman New Member

Ours is in that current state as well. However ours has 3 lights on every thing says its good but limp. Does anyone know of a fix?

17. Hi Caveman - If you could shoot an email to support@freeflysystems.com they can assist you. Also, if you could change your user name to your correct full name that would be most appreciated, it is required on the forums.

Best Regards,
    Denise

18. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Caveman, check your stiffness settings. I would guess they are set to zero. This is standard with the firmware update and the explanation as to why is in the manual. You can either tune the MoVI manually, use the new autotune function, or reload a previously saved config file

19. Senthil Nathan

Hi guys, I have updated to firmware version 3.08. Just finished testing it out. The new boot time for the Movi M10 is awesome. Mine boots atleast 2 times faster than before. Also, the auto tune feature works flawlessly. My motors seem to run cooler now than before. Minor vibrations in extreme cases of movement have been completely eliminated (due to auto tuned stiffness settings) while maintaining same stabilization. I wonder if there are any changes in battery life. Also, what is the major issue in the previous firmware that the email notification was talking about? Anyone know of this? Thanks and cheers.

20. Jonathan Saruk

Jonathan Saruk New Member

Hello-

I believe I am having the same issue as Gary Clarke and Chris Watters. Firmware update failed on the first attempt and now the Movi is completely unresponsive, aside from the initial green lights after turning on. Have attempted to reinstall firmware and configurator with no success. I have emailed Freefly support with more details. Hope there is a quick solution to this.

Regards,

Jonathan Saruk

David J. Crewe likes this.