/dist/images/branding/favicon

New Cameras CES 2013

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Bob Wojda, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Bob Wojda

Bob Wojda Member

At CES all the camera companies launched their new camcorders. I think I am always going to be looking for the newest, lightest best camera for flying at the lowest cost. I'm sure you are too. I spent some time looking at what was new and the new JVC's caught my attention especially the JVC GC-PX100. Looks like it can do high frame rates, has optical stabilization and nice specs for Ariel work. Not out till March but would be worth the wait. Did anyone see anything else that fits our specs well?

Bob

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Guess the answer's a resounding, "no," Bob. :(
    NAB's the next most likely event, I guess.

Andy.

3. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

I'm still waiting for the perfect camera that weighs 1lb, with Pl mount, that does Prores 4.4.4.4 and cost under a $100. Ahhh.

4. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

And also does s-log.

5. Bob Wojda

Bob Wojda Member

I'm not too surprised. I'll be at NAB but I don't think the cameras that are best suited to the cinestar will be there. I appreciate your research on the Sony CX760. I know the best camera to fly is our Red camera but I don't want to put that up there, especially for the kind of work we do. I am going to keep looking for the perfect little camera so that if it lands hard I'm not out too much. We've been using the 5D too but that too isn't the right tool. Plus I really do think the smaller sensor, optically stabilized light cameras are getting pretty darn good. Just have to find one that makes me want to try it.

Thanks,
    Bob

BTW: that JVC GC-PX100's slo mo drops the resolution down severly (I think even at 60p) so not as nice as I hoped.

6. Bob Wojda

Bob Wojda Member

Mark,

That's exactly it, I'd even go up to $200 if it had stabilization and 500 fps at 4K.

Bob

7. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

All kidding aside I'm inclined to go with the new GH3. shoots pretty pictures but the 4.2.0 is an issue seeing most of my work is broadcast or feature films. I guess I can always up-rez it for grading.