/dist/images/branding/favicon

Neutralizing radio joysticks or not?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Dave King, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I noticed after watching several quadrocopter videos on the MX20 that the joysticks on them are setup so that they don't automatically return to neutral by using the adjusting screw inside. Is there a specific reason for this? Is is so that when you start the motors there isn't as much gas applied automatically? If anyone has changed their radio to a non neutralizing position how far did you adjust it?

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I did it with just the throttle (vertical axis of the left joystick) of my Graupner mx20. I'm not sure I like it better that way, but I think I just have to get used to it. I'd actually like to adjust the braking (I think that's what they call it) so that it moves with a little more resistance, but I couldn't quite figure that out. It feels a little floppy now.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Aileron and Rudder should always self center. Don't think I have seen it any other way. For the MK FC system their altitude hold has a setting that when it is configured will hold altitude with the throttle stick centered. Since MK has such a strong relationship with Graupner it is a pretty slick feature. However it does have a couple of drawbacks. On power up don't let go of the throttle stick since it will jump to the center position and your ship will suddenly take off. When turning off AH the center position may be to low or high of power setting so be ready to adjust accordingly.

WIth my switch from MK to Hoverfly I removed the center spring, added a bit of the ratchet setting and friction to that control and haven't had any issue making the conversion. When you turn on AH you just don't have to move the stick other than for rudder.

See pages 18-19 in the Graupner manual. Note, if you do take the back cover off make sure you remove the Micro SD card and Battery first. Especially the Micro SD as you can damage the SD card slot if the card is left in place.

4. Dave King

thalnks for the post. I didn't know that about the center position with altitude hold. I never really flew anything using remote control before and my first instincts would tell me that the center position for throttle is like idle and if you want gas you need to go up. I just bought the aerosim flight control software and I've been practicing flying the multirotor with my transmitter. It has a microkopter octo XL model which is probably the closests I can get for simulation.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Dave:

It would be a disservice to you if I didn't strongly urge you NOT to use a self-centering throttle. The safety risks are too high. Your bird will leap off the ground and either tip over or head upwards if you start the motors and the throttle stick slips out of your fingers or from under your thumb.

The AerosimRC Octo XL is a pretty good simulation, but (a) I wish it was easier to tell the orientation of the copter when it's away from you -- I have to use the compass heading or use the "rock the wings" technique, and (b) the "training exercises" are not very good. When you're learning, if you "time out" you never get to complete the exercise so you speed up and fly badly.

I think the training was designed more with a gamer in mind than with a serious pilot's training mission in mind. You should be allowed to complete the training assignments in your own time -- as it is, it encourages sloppy flying to get them done in the allotted time.

All it would take is an option to turn off the timeout.

Andy.

6. Dave King

Thanks
    Thanks Andy. What position wouldy you recommend? How much lower be center?

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Remove the spring for the left stick entirely, such that zero throttle is with the stick pulled as close as possible to you.

For vario altitude hold (what I call VAH) the MK boards automatically detect the amount of throttle you need to hover the bird -- I checked the source code and the firmware tweaks the throttle and checks the altitude, adjusting it until it's hovering. While you're in VAH, the throttle control turns into more of a "go up/go down" control than actually driving the throttle setting directly.

Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.