/dist/images/branding/favicon

Need to establish terminal session with Alta 8

Discussion in 'ALTA 8 FAQ' started by Tommy Cowart, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Tommy Cowart

Tommy Cowart New Member

Pretty much says it all. I need to establish a terminal session with the alta 8 in order to execute a cyber scan for my work. Was hoping someone had instructions or walkthrough that would help me achieve this. We have an Alta 8, but they haven't purchased the camera yet as they may elect to engineer a different solution for the camera. I was able to connect and perform a port scan on the device and even use wireshark to capture ARP packets between the tablet/futaba controller/drone, but it appears the wifi router isn't allowing port 23 to be opened to establish a session. I presume the drone itself uses an embedded OS (more than likely Linux based) but I'm speculating. In order for our organization to utilize this device we require a cyber scan be done on all of our devices so we know how to harden the equipment. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Tommy: That's a good question -- I wonder why the Wifi router isn't letting you capture port 23 traffic? That would seem to be the critical issue, but I'm not sure whether that's a question for Freefly. You might want to open up a ticket with Freefly Support and the best way of doing that is to head over to https://freeflysystems.com/contact

That said, when their workload permits, I do know that Freefly technical support will occasionally review some of the threads on the forum, but opening up a ticket really is the optimal way to get support.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Tommy Cowart

Tommy Cowart New Member

Hey thanks for posting! I put in the ticket 2 days before I ever posted here. Suppose I was just trying to see if anyone else had experienced this. Since my organization is using it for R&D for advanced phototelemetry with LiDAR technology, we have strict cybersecurity rules. They just answered me today saying it's an unusual request and would get back with me. Here's to hoping it works out.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Please post again when/if you get an answer. It'd be interesting to know how to do this.

Thanks
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Tommy Cowart

Tommy Cowart New Member

You bet, I'm pretty close to getting the terminal now it just appears there is a couple of things holding me back. Once I figure it out I'll provide a little insight to the board. So far I've been able to "hack" the parrot bebop 2, intel falcon 8, and a couple of others to "harden" their systems. I hope a little insight from one of the engineers with alta 8 will be able to fit the pieces I'm currently missing so I can do the same here. Also, just so everyone knows, this unit can already be hacked via the DSMx feature the futaba controller uses for any drone as it uses DSMx for obfuscation. There's build materials out there now for an icarus box that deauthenticates a user and allows a new user to take charge. So far many of the drone controller companies haven't got an answer to it yet. The build notes for engineering that unit aren't widely available yet, but it can be done. Sometimes it's just acceptable risk depending on the data and airspace you're working in. Safe flying and I'll update when I find out how to establish the terminal as altering configuration files could present a method of hardening everyone's data and/or customizing the drone's operation.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Whoa. So you can essentially "hijack" the aircraft in mid-air?

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

7. Tommy Cowart

Tommy Cowart New Member

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Nice.

I've been hoping every time I fly my old Phantom 2 that someone would seize control of it and fly it away.... :rolleyes:

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™