/dist/images/branding/favicon

Need longer range for transmitter. What are you using?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Morgan Friedland, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Nice work, Nick. How did you join the cross strut to the antenna tubing? Just melt it on?

Andy.

2. Nick Wolcott

Nick Wolcott Member

Andy-

Just a little super glue

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Let me know how that holds up. In my experience, cyano-acrylate adhesives are a little brittle, so, if it cracks, you may end up needing to use a blob of silicon adhesive (or Sugru).

Andy.

4. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

Hi to all, does anyone using UHF?
    My CS8 is about to arrive, and this last weekend a friend had a problem with Futaba Fhg8, We don't know if it was the 2 downlinks 1.3 and 900, but it was scary....
    I'm planing to use JR new system DMSS, as always used JR DMX and fully confident with them, but on this one will use 2 down links one for live view of camera and one FPV, was planing on 1.2 500ma Lawmate for FVP, with lpf. any sugestion for live view transmitter. Also Was a bit worried about 2 downlinks and flying 2.4. Really thinking on UHF, not sure if ez uhf or others .... any comments will be highly apreciated

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Caju:

Consider:
    1. Putting a low pass filter on the 1.2 Ghz to stop it radiating a harmonic at 2.4 Ghz.
    2. Using a 5.8 Ghz Mondo transmitter for the Liveview.
    3. Using a 5.8 Ghz Mondo diversity receiver.
    4. Using Blue Beam right hand circular polarized antennae for both the 1.2Ghz system and the 5.8Ghz. Better performance than whip antenna. Don't forget to order extension cables for both systems. For the diversity receiver, you will need to order a second receiver antenna with its own extension cable (order up a total of five extension cables: two for the 1.2 Ghz Tx/Rx and three for the 5.8Ghz Tx/Rx).

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

Morgan Friedland likes this.
  6. Guilherme Barbosa

Hi Andy thanks for the reply
    A low pass is a must agreed on
    I'm not a real fan of 5.8 drops a lot, don't have experience with the mondo ? Any alternative??? maybe 1.3 racewood and 1.2 lawmate
    I prefer the antennas of http://www.circular-wireless.com/en or if you would like there is a formula to do your own, must find it somewhere, if you want let me know and I will search it.
    So you think it won't cause interference with 2.4??? with the set up that you suggested?
    I was really leaning to EZ UHF or Scherrer, more towards EZ for it working as a spektrum analizer through their software.
    Will have to think about.
    But really thanks for your heads up
    Will let you know once i chose my route

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I the typical distance/altitude I operate at (<= 120 meters altitude, <= 300 meters horizontal), I've not seen too many dropouts on the 5.8Ghz. I do put one of the Blue Beam antenna on a 10" long extension cable to increase the spatial diversity. I must confess to be more worried about FPV drop-outs in case I happen to be 250 meters out and needing to use the FPV for safety's sake.

I'm not sufficiently immersed in circularly polarized antenna design to know the design parameters -- perhaps Mrs. Google knows? ;)

In the USA, to operate in UHF (433 Mhz), I think you may need to have a amateur radio operator's license which is why I went to the 5.8Ghz.

Andy.

8. Guilherme Barbosa

Yes in Brazil we should have Amateur radio license, what in my case is fine 'cause I do have. not comenting on homologation.
    I do have main concern with FPV that´s the reason why I´m going with 1.2 or 1.3 on this. But I will use only for those behind the tree catches.
    We do find in some cases when everything is close by on smaller machines the video trans. overcame the main 2.4 Futaba not mater what, even without harmonics. Didn´t see the problems in JR yet.
    I would love to go with 5.8 what is your experience with behind the trees dropouts?

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Caju:
    Yes -- if you put one transmitter close to another I would not be surprised to see that you can swamp the main 2.4 Futaba. The inverse square law applies here and therefore even very faint harmonics will cause interference because at short distances they are strong signals. Separate the transmitters and receivers as far as possible. I was even wondering whether I'd get better results with a Graupner GR-24 flight control receiver if I put it out halfway along Boom #5 to get it clear of the video transmitters and the main mass of carbon fiber.

I must confess that I tend to keep the Cinestar this side of the trees so I've not done any experiments to see whether 5.8 Ghz propagates through foliage. I should try it some day when I'm not intending to land in the tree. (Don't ask. Long story.)

Andy.

10. Guilherme Barbosa

Hey Andy,
    Know the filling, we always try to be on the good side, but as DartV use to say the darkside is always there .... LOL
    Thanks for exchanged ideas , as soon as this CS8 arrives we will see how we handle the eletronics and will let you know
    Cheers