/dist/images/branding/favicon

My Alta tuning results

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Dave King, May 8, 2016.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

While I have spent the majority of my time getting my pilots license, I haven't flown much this year. My alta had a total of less than 4 hours on it. I have been flying it a few times recently and my observations have shown that it has not been flying great in position hold which is where I fly a lot. It was pretty wobbly even in calm air which was really frustrating. It flies fine in manual mode. I also had altitude hold issues with wind gusts. In 8-10 mph gusts it was pretty dicy.

Oddly enough I researched this board pretty good for tuning results and I didn't see much of anything with really surprised me because a lot of people seem to have the same issues. So I charged up 3 pairs of batteries and did some experimenting and thought I would offer my results in case it might help someone else.

Background: I have An Alta 6 that had all settings stock. I have been flying a Movi 5 fitted with a Connex HD system and a 5D with a 17-40 lens. My alta was last updated by Freefly in November when they did the firmware update and boom wiring upgrades. I have not done any other firmware upgrades since then.

The couple posts I did find suggested to reduce Horizontal stiffness and hold strength gain. I tried reducing Horizontal stiffness down to 32 and then 30 and it made it even more wobbly. I then went back to stock numbers and played with the numbers 3 at a time until I found the best combination that seemed to work best. I found that Horizontal stiffness of 42 and hold strength of 28 made it much better.

I then moved to the vertical settings. I got better results when I moved Hold strength up to 42. I made sure that I observed wind gusts before I made new adjustments to see where the current adjustments stood.

After being frustrated to see that we are still not allowed to turn GPS height correction, I turned it on anyway to see if it made much of a difference. To my astonishment I didn't see any difference. WTH?

The Alta definitely flies better now but it still is a little twitchy in position hold mode in wind gusts of about 12 mph. In hover the alta will jump up or down in altitude a little with gusts of wind. The alta will fly straight and maintain altitude hold very well. I rate this machine better than my MK rigs but not as good as my Cinestar 8 with Wookong. I am confident that its still a matter of tweaking the settings more. Hopefully I can find another afternoon where I can test some more.

IF anyone has any other suggestions or comments please fire away.

Thanks

Dave

2. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Thanks Dave - appreciate the post on this.