/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movilapse (Hyperlapse) unusable

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Rick Gerard, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

Let me start out by saying that I'm a very experienced filmmaker, I own a MoVI Pro, have owned and operated Steadicam's and a bunch of other camera stabilization devices since the early 1970's. I also own a DJI Osmo with three different heads, one for a smartphone, one standard and one Zenmuse head.

I routinely mount my Osmo head remotely and shoot hyperlapse footage. The control is amazing and the results are spectacular.

I also have a hyperlapse app for my iPhone. it uses the phone's motion sensing to smooth things out. Both produce amazingly high-quality videos.

I cannot say the same for the MOVI. I tried for a couple of hours to record driving through Kings Canyon in California and it was a disaster. I hard mounted the MOVI to a suction cup mount in the center of the windshield. The response is so slow that the camera panned around so far that it routinely saw both side windows and once it came clear around to show me, then slowly started to return to pointing straight ahead. The horizon would also not stay level and there were a lot of tilt shocks in the shots.

I tried the timelapse mode also but it seemed like the stabilization was almost completely turned off. That was also a disaster. I finally broke out the OSMO and compressed 12 miles into 30 seconds that was perfectly smooth and the shot was always right out the windshield.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Some of the other features are pretty nice but the MOVI is not nearly as versatile as the OSMO.

2. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Hi Rick,

My apologies if I misunderstand the problem that you’ve run into, but if you’re talking about very slow reaction when turning corners, it’s understood to be an issue. Mark Spencer of Ripple Training talks about the problem from the 09:40 mark in this video:

Freefly is addressing the issue with something called reframing in the app. It’s apparently in the current beta, which you can download, although I haven’t tried it yet. Freefly made this video about reframing:

As a matter of curiosity, did you try using the hyperlapse app on your iPhone, which I assume is the Instagram Hyperlapse app, with the Movi in Majestic mode?

#2 Rorick Edge, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  3. Rick Gerard

I've applied for the MOVI beta program but have not received an invitation yet. The OSMO Mobile is cheaper and has many more features but it's a little awkward because you can't set it down.

Hopefully, the software will improve and turn this into a much more usable tool.

4. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Hi Rick,

You don’t need an invitation to get the beta. All you have to do is sign up for Apple TestFlight, which will become an app on your iPhone.

Go here: https://freeflysystems.com/support/movi-support/beta

Also, in case you’re interested, note that the Movi Cinema Robot forum has a sub-forum specifically for discussion about beta versions of the app..

#4 Rorick Edge, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  5. Rick Gerard

That's what I filled out but I haven't gotten a response back yet and the app does not show up in TestFlight

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Rick:

Any chance the email to you might have gone to your spam slammer? As Rorick says, all you need to is to download the beta via Testflight and you're good to go.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

7. Rick Gerard

I tried it again. Nothing in the Spam folder. I'm on the MoVI beta but nothing shows up for MOVI in my email or in Test Flight.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's odd...in which case, it's probably time to open up a ticket by sending an email to Freefly Support (support@freeflysystems.com).

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

9. Rick Gerard

I even tried my wife's Apple ID email and my daughters using Safari, Firefox, and Chrome. This did not generate a redeem code and no email was received. The only thing that happens after clicking submit is a new screen titled Application Error that says "Your Response has been recorded."
    [​IMG]

I think the system is broken. I'll file a support ticket.

#9 Rick Gerard, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah....that does sound broken....
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

11. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

Sorry about that. Manually added you and sent invite. Automatic signups are fixed now as well.

Tom Fonseca likes this.