/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movie Pro and Balancing Long Zooms

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Craig Allan, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Craig Allan

Craig Allan New Member

Hi to all,

Would appreciate some feedback on the possibilities of running long zooms on the Movi Pro. Camera is Red Weapon. The lens options for the application include the Zeiss LWZ.3 21-100 or the Fuginon Cabrio 19-90 or the Fujinon 20-120. I understand the weight limits should be fine. The issue is balancing ensuring there is enough room on the tilt axis - especially if a light matt box is added.

Has anybody used one of these lenses (or something of similar size) that can let me know how successful the balance was - whether there was enough room for full tilt and whether there was the possibility of an even heavier rig (such as including FIZ motors)?

Thanks in advance
    Craig

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Check out the Tilt Offsets from Ignite Digi Australia. They balance the Fujinon 19-90 regularly, and their offsets can reduce the amount of counterweight you need, especially if you can move your video transmitter or Focus MDR back on the camera rig. I think they take the side handle off the zoom and use their own lens motors.

You'll likely still need a counterweight. I've found a convenient place to add one is the operator's side of the camera on the Weapon, because it usually stays out of the way of the roll beam of the Movi. You can play around with this. From cheap parts at the hardare store, I built an L-bracket with some metal construction ties that can fit there. It velcros and bolts on to the top of the camera, and I have a 2-lb one and a 4-lb one in my kit.

What are you using for wireless Focus\Iris\Zoom?

Here's a few pics of the counterweight I built in use on RED and Arri Mini:

094A0497 (1).jpg

IMG_3792 (1).jpg

IMG_2732.jpg

3. Craig Allan

Craig Allan New Member

Thanks Graham.

I'm in a good position in that I am building this from scratch. Accordingly the parts chosen will be specific to achieving a desired result - rather than having to accomodate less than ideal components.

Due to lens requirement (based on application) I am very much leaning to the zeiss lwz due to its ef mount option. The down side is that due to the ef option I will likely need to run lens support. But then that would be necessary anyways for fiz. It is roughly the same length as the servo less fujinon (3mm longer) but is .4 of a pound lighter. I guess it all counts when the lens is that long.

At this stage I have not concluded on fiz motor/controller setup. Whilst the movi handles the fiz motors (with its own controller) for gimbal operation I am going to need a pan handle controller for tripod work.

I am wanting to keep the setup as small and as simple and as light as practically possible. Any thoughts based on the above would be appreciated.

Kind regards