/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi XL Roll Problem

Discussion in 'MōVI XL' started by Brian Rose, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Brian Rose

Brian Rose New Member

Hi there XL Pros,

After another full day of shooting on set I ran into a problem with the roll on the XL.

Firstly I have to point out that I am using the XL with the Alph Wheels and the MoVi Controller, the camera package is perfectly balanced but not nodal on the roll axis. When I rolled the camera to 90 degrees it would start to pan and move uncontrollably. It seems that the roll would hold until it reached 90degrees.

Sadly we did not get the shot. Anyone have any ideas on why the XL could not hold a 90 degree roll?

Thanks,

Brian

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Which firmware are you using, and if you're using Beta Firmware, are you in 360 Roll Mode or regular? Are you using Roll snap? How are you mounting your XL -- Underslung or "Briefcase" mode (with the Pan mounted 90-degrees forward)?

There is a limitation to 3-axis gimbals called "Gimbal Lock", which occurs when two of the Axes line up. Then the gimbal is trying to stabilize, but it doesn't know how to do it, because it doesn't have access to all the 3 axes. The Occulus head, which has a 4th axis, can automatically work around gimbal lock and is often better suited for these types of shots.