/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi with Hoodie attachment

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Karen Grant, Sep 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Karen Grant

Karen Grant New Member

Hi everyone. I'm new here and I am very interested in the Movi. I know you can purchase the hoodie attachment to attach an external microphone. I have an iPhone 8 Plus with a Rhode VideoMic Pro Plus. Can I use this mic with the Movi? Also, can the mic be turned around so it is facing me when I am using the front facing camera with this attachment? I plan to do some selfie videos. If I can, do I need any additional parts for it to work- I don't know what a reducer brushing is.

Also, I know Freefly doesn't sell tripods, but what are some recommended ones that will work with it? If I am siting at a table I would like to put the Movi on a short tripod so it is level to my height rather than holding it.

Thanks for your response.
    Karen

2. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Hi Karen,

Use of the Hoodie with Røde and other microphones has been discussed exhaustively on this forum. You might find it most efficient to do a forum search.

Here are the results of a search for reducer bushing (not "brushing") at the photography retailer B&H Photo: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=reducer bushing&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

An example of reducer bushing use... The Hoodie comes with a 1/4" screw. Many ballheads come with a 3/8" screw hole. If you have such a ballhead, and want to use it with the Hoodie, a reducer bushing will reduce the 3/8" hole to 1/4".

One of the common names in tripods is Manfrotto. There are many other brands, some of them less expensive, some of them more expensive. You might start by looking at...

tabletop tripods: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=tabletop tripod&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

and portable tripods: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/sear...arch=travel+tripod&origSearch=portable+tripod

#2 Rorick Edge, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  3. Karen Grant

Karen Grant New Member

Hi Rorick. Thank your for your reply. I have the GorillaPod Mobile Rig Tripod. Will this be strong enough to support the Movi?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Personally, I would not entrust a Movi, smartphone and Røde mike to that tripod rig. According to the Joby representative in this video (46 second mark), it is based on Joby’s least substantial GorillaPod, the 1K:

#4 Rorick Edge, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  5. Karen Grant

Karen Grant New Member

Oh ok..didn't know that. Thanks for the video. I do have the Sennheiser ClipMic. Could I use the Movi with the MobileRig with that? I am thinking that I am probably going to have to get a sturdier tripod. I like the Jobys. What Joby would you recommend to use with the Movi? I just need a tabletop tripod and I like the Jobys because I can wrap them around things in case I would like to.

#5 Karen Grant, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018