MoVI with Camcorder(EX1)

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Will Lyons, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Will Lyons

Will Lyons New Member

Hi,
    Y'all are going to think I'm from the dark ages, but remember the venerable EX1? I'm curious if anyone at Freefly or elsewhere has any experience or ideas on whether or not the M10 can handle a camcorder style camera such as an EX1? I think the MoVI would be a great addition to a lot of high-speed-on-the-water sailing work I do. In many cases, a large sensor camera with a prime is fine, but for races, having a zoom would be very helpful. Weight wise, an EX1 with cards and a regular battery is well within the weight limit, I'm just wondering geometry wise if it's too long. Doesn't seem like it's a whole lot longer than an FS700 with a lens.

I guess along those lines, if I had a zoom controller wired from the camera to the handle, would that interfere with MoVI's stabilization abilities? I'm kind of unsure if all on camera controls must be wireless, or if there's leniency for some connectivity (on handle monitor, etc...). If I could also stick a camera such as an EX1 on a MoVI, in addition to an F5... I don't even know what I'd say!

Cheers,
    Will Lyons

2. Jeff Cook

Jeff Cook Member

That is a good question. The small mini-ENG style cameras are aimed at a different market than the Cine/DSLR world, but if you can make one work on the MōVI, I think it would open up a lot more opportunities.

What about Concerts, Sports, Live TV?

It's a new frontier....

3. Will Lyons

Will Lyons New Member

I think there could be a lot of potential in all those arena's you mentioned. I need it because I'm getting a lot of work covering these guys. They're sailing at up to 30 knots, so trying to hold a camera steady in a chase boat doing that is insane. I'm thinking large jetski with MoVI and solo operator sitting backwards on the back of it. I could do it with a large sensor camera, but it would be safer/more efficient if I had some zoom range. Not to mention, depth of field is my friend while shooting this stuff!

International Moth North Americans:

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

If it fits and weight is ok, shoot it with the MōVI. I forget the size of the EX1 but what I do remember I think you would be ok. Look on the MōVI FAQ page here on the forum. There is a chart of possible cameras. If it's close to one of those you would be good.