/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Pro+?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Ben Kanegson, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Ben Kanegson

Ben Kanegson New Member

Hi, very happy with performance of Movi Pro, having owned and experienced every generation from M-10 on. Always improving, with the Pro a major leap for sure.

However, given the compromises that have to be made with lens choices/ front end weight, would love to see slightly upsized/ up powered (larger motor/ deeper cage) "Plus" model that handles 25+ lb. loads, heavier lenses, still hand held capable, to compete with R-2.

Now that support rigs like Ready Rig are common, and carrying larger load is humanly doable, would like to see this, so I can stay within the Freefly universe and still upsize for similar usage. Use same mimic, same wheels connectivity and possibly same TITH. Just looking to add a size up to the fleet. Maybe this is already in the works?

Nothing against XL, but too large for hand carrying and competes with separate remote head market. Looking for something in between, but much closer to the Pro in scale. Willing to sacrifice flight and some handoff capability to say "yes" to heavy lenses and enhanced remote/ vehicle use.

Any feedback appreciated....

Ben Ruffell likes this.
  2. Justin Scott Brown

Justin Scott Brown New Member

I see what you're saying Ben but a lot of time and thought went into the Pro and that form and function that it provides. Have you tried using a Ronin 2? It weighs double and that alone is not worth some extra balancing room when I can add a couple Cinemilled weights with their plate for a few hundred bucks.

3. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I do hope they'll develop a slightly larger Movi Pro. The Ronin 2 weighs too much, for sure, but I tried it recently with a really heavy payload, and was impressed. Don't want to hold that thing up all day, even with the Ready Rig, but that's what I'm frequently asked to do with the Movi -- wear it for hours while we reset or adjust lighting. There are a lot of things DJI is doing right in that gimbal, and I hope Freefly can incorporate some of that too. The Remote Operator features are particularly helpful.

Longer Tilt arms: A little more room at the back of the gimbal so the back of the camera doesn't hit the roll bar so soon would be nice. Not too much -- then you need to extend your arms farther out to operate, but it's hard to counterbalance these heavier lenses with the light camera bodies. Less Counterbalance means less weight overall, which is good for the motors.

Toad in the Hole is awesome, but if you put more weight on, then they should consider a dovetail system instead. Toad might not be rated for much heavier loads.

Don't want worm gears and axis locks, per se, but being able to lock the Pan Axis has some advantages in operating and incorporating into a Steadicam. Maybe a removeable cotter-pin or threaded bolt system that wouldn't add the weight of a locking mechanism?

Two types of batteries -- regular capacity and higher capacity -- that could deliver a little more power to the system and a little more current for accessories would be nice.

Keep the same baseplates and 15mm cage rods! I want to use my current Movi Pro as a backup if they come out with a larger model, and having similar accessories like that makes that possible.

It seems easy enough for Freefly to work on a larger Movi Pro based around their ecosystem. I'm sure Tabb's got something up his sleeve. :) I don't need to put a full Arri Alexa or Amira on there, but a little more room to do heavier lenses, filters, matte box, etc. would be nice.

Now the question is, how much would you pay for a larger Movi Pro?

4. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

As long as the weight increases, it becomes less practical to hand carry the whole setup and it becomes more painful.

I think, it's a question of if you want the system as compact as possible or not.

We calculate and consider every gram for aerial filming as well. The current Movi Pro's size&weight is just at the ideal level so you can switch between the setups without thinking twice. You can add little modifications to fit in larger lens packages such as Ignited's tilt cage offsets without any counterweight add-on. I hate those big setups where you have to wear on support equipment to carry unnecessary bulk weight.

I agree that there is a huge gap between Movi Pro and XL but I wouldn't buy anything heavier than Movi Pro for just putting a longer zoom lens there. I already bought a Movi XL for applications which I would throw in any camera&lens packages to it and rig it to somewhere.

Regarding Ronin 2, it's for sure very attractive option out there. Personally I would use it for rigging it to cars, cranes etc where Movi Xl would be too big. Wouldn't consider it for hand held. Ronin 2's steadicam mod is very tempting as well.

5. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

+1 for Movi Pro Plus or MproL or what ever ya want to call it.

Our MPros are great BUT they crap out doing side profile with a heavy lens (like Optimo or Hawk Vlite) doing 15+m/sec HUGE improvement over the M15 but our drones are capable of 32m/sec and would love to shoot that fast one day :)

Keep up the great work Freefly!

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT likes this.
  6. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

well-said. thats literally the drawback. 21-25m/sec and i couldnt be happier