/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVI Pro / RedRock Commander Issue - Help!

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Tom Comet, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Tom Comet

Tom Comet Member

So I went with the RedRock Commander / SLS 3 motor setup and it all arrived the other day. Nice looking kit! Unfortunately I am having an issue with FIZ control (well, just F actually). Basically everything works perfectly until the focus wheel gets to the very bottom or infinity side of its travel. Once the focus knob (and LED dial on the Mimic) reach infinity the both snap to close focus. When I roll the knob back a little both snaps back to where it should be.

Here is a video that shows what is going on and my current work around - .

I am currently running firmware 1.51 but I also tried reverting both the MoVI and Mimic to 1.4 with the same results. As per RedRock's instructions I have the Mimic set to Hocus Reflex motors and I run my lens calibration starting with focus knob and iris slider in the middle of their travel. I have tried running motor calibration both from the Mimic and from the RedRock Commander. Nothing I have tried makes this issue go away. My current workaround is to set the hard stop on the focus knob just before the end of the travel which works but this also means I never get the lens all the way to infinity. Boo!

I have read about others having similar issues and I am hoping someone has found a solution as I need this gear working by next Friday...

2. Alejandro Selman

Alejandro Selman New Member

Hi Tom,

I see that our Support team (support@redrockmicro.com) reached out to you with steps on how to calibrate the Commander.

Looking forward to getting you all dialed in.

3. Tom Comet

Tom Comet Member

Yes, very attentive! Just need a break from shooting to get back to the shop to try the suggested fix...

4. Tom Comet

Tom Comet Member

So after a little back and forth with Freely and the good folks at RedRock all is well. It would appear that my Commander needed to be recalibrate. For those of you who want to know this secret recipe it is as follows...

To calibrate.
    1. Press in on the joystick and hold.
    2. While holding in the joystick press and release the CAL button. You should get a yellow light on the focus indicator. Release joystick
    3. Calibrate Focus: Rotate focus wheel fully in both directions twice.
    4. Calibrate Iris: Slide slider up fully then down fully twice.
    5. Calibrate Joystick: Rotate joystick 360 degrees, pushing outwards.
    6. Press and release the CAL button.

You should get a blue or red light on the indicator then a white light which indicates normal operation.

It took a couple tries and I needed to run the knob as firmly into the physical hard stops as I could but now everything is working as it should.

Thanks for all the help!

Graham Futerfas likes this.