/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Pro on a car mount + Mimic = ?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Josh Park, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Josh Park

Josh Park Member

Hi, I've gotten an inquiry of mounting the Movi rig on a car. Thinking of using a ninja star with toad mount and Movi Pro will mount upside down. Here is the question.

I don't have the Spektrum controller or the Movi Controller so my natural instinct is to control the pan and tilt with Mimic. However when Movi is placed upside down, the lens faces towards the LCD unit so my only method on making it face the correct inverted way is to switch from "Handheld" mode to "Airbourne" mode. But once I do that Mimic no longer stays active.

Any tricks on making it work?

P.s. How do you adjust Mimic' sensitivity? It just picks up so much of vibration and it would be nice to have the "window" adjustment like in Majestic mode.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Josh, I'm not sure what you mean by 'the lens faces toward the LCD unit'... or why you need to go from Handheld to Airborne mode. It should work fine in Handheld. The Movi is upside down, but the camera is right side up (at least on the Pro -- the M15 was a different story). Maybe you can elaborate about what you mean?

If the Mimic is also moving with the Movi in the car, that can cause more problems because it used Accelerometers and the motion of the car can throw it off. Ideally you'd get a Spektrum or geared head controller.

What part of the world are you located? If you're near Los Angeles, I might be able to help you out. I have a spare Spektrum\receiver\cable, a geared head controller if you prefer, and vibration isolator plates.

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT likes this.
  3. Josh Park

Josh Park Member

When you flip it upside down, instead of reorienting the camera properly to upside down, Movi seems to try to keep the camera on the normal horizon level, hence the camera ends up facing towards the back LCD panel direction instead of doing a proper invert.

I am based in Los Angeles! I'm gonna see how the offer works out. However regardless I'd love to get some input on properly mounting Movi upside down.

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

The camera should remain normal orientation, just flip the top of the Movi to underneath. Here's a pic of it on a stand, in case that helps. The camera remains upright. Let me know if you need any help.

IMG_0659.jpg

5. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

take graham up on the vibration isolator offer Josh. . . makes all the difference IMO

Graham Futerfas likes this.