Movi Pro Motors sticking/jolting

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Sam Bebbington, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Sam Bebbington

Sam Bebbington New Member

Hi all,

Fairly new to the world of Freefly coming from a DJI background. Just after some advice or if i'm doing something wrong here?

Balance the Movi as I normally would, I boot the Movi, auto tune and further tune.

However as I turn the Movi it feels as though its jolting forwards and skipping, not one continous smooth motion but a mixture of smooth and jolting movements.

Any help on this would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Sam

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Active Member

Hi Sam, can you take some screenshots of all your settings and post them here? Tuning, Advanced Tuning, Etc.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Also, and apologies because this sounds so obvious, but is there any chance of any cables fouling the motion of the gimbal?

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. Sam Bebbington

Sam Bebbington New Member

Hi Graham, screenshots attached to this reply, see what you think. Currently running an FS5 with a Nikon 16-35 lens on there. No lens control.

Andy, aha I did have to check myself on that one all MōVI wires look fine, in tact and not catching. I’ve ran my own SDI but that’s not catching either.

Cheers,

Sam

Attached Files:

5. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Active Member

Hi Sam, a couple of things:

I’d turn down your Auto Tune percentage to 50% instead of 80 and run it again. Also, 259 is really high pan motor stiffness for that setup. You should be between 75 and 150, but you can prob bring the filter up to 4.

As a test to solve your jolting problem, set all your stiffnesses to 90 and your filters to 4 and then let’s talk about majestic settings. You can properly tune the gimbal better later. If there’s any motor buzzing at 90 on any axis, just dial them down a little bit, or slightly increase the filter.

You can also bring your Hold Stengths up a little. I’ve found having too high a hold strength can cause other problems, though some ops like them up there. I typically run around 12-15 for day to day stuff. If you have to do whip pans, you can dial them way up.

Your Masjestic windows look high, especially at a 10 on pan. I run a window of 3 or 4 and smoothing around 7 or 8 to start. I change these depending on the shot, but those are good for more precision work. At some point, you should dial these settings to extremes to get a feel for what they do. You can have the gimbal respond quick like a sports car, or splashy like an old Cadillac, depending on how you set these up.

For fun, you can turn Jolt Rejection up to a low number, like 1 or 2. I haven’t felt a big difference in it but I don’t usually run it at zero.

Finally, your Pan is offset in the General settings to 13 degrees... is that because it’s not pointing to center in the ring? If so, put it back at 0 and unlock your toad in the hole and turn it so that the latch is dead center with the back of the ring, and relatch it. The Movi will line up so that the lens points directly away from the latch on the Toad in the Hole.

And if the gimbal is actually in Smooth Lock, you might want to be in Majestic Angle. It won’t respond to your tilt inputs in Smooth Lock. You should scroll through the menu on the back of the Movi itself to confirm what the gimbal is set to.

See if any of this helps and let us know. Some people may find my settings controversial or different than their own, but try this to see if it helps. As you gain more experience, you can find settings that work for you. I could go on about Tuning, but that’s for another post.

Best,
    -Graham

Rolands Zelders and Matt Laver like this.