/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Pro main rods to gage not aligned

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Kevin Schmid, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Kevin Schmid

Kevin Schmid New Member

Hello,

We have had issues getting our rig tuned, with constant vibration. In different setups. We have notices that the main two rods going to the cage are not aligned correct. Must see the pics. Without sending the unit back as now time for that what will be right solution to get it fixed without creating new issues?

THX for a feedback.
    Peter
    P.s. we have opened at ticket with Freefly, but not heard back from them.

Attached Files:

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Can you look in the app and see what motor(s) is vibrating? There's a red indicator in the Tuning section that can tell you where the noise is. Try reducing the stiffness, hold strengths or increasing the filter on the motor that's vibrating.

3. Kevin Schmid

Kevin Schmid New Member

it is the pan, but my point is that the rods are not 90° to the pan motor, see the photo and the angle and you will see it messured agains a
    protractor.

4. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

I have always found that my Pro is naturally out of balance on the pan axis and tried to work out where the imbalance was. Perhaps this is it. I can only balance the pan with one battery on due to how out of balance it naturally is. Very interesting to see measurements showing that the rods on yours are out of shape.

Deniz Ertan likes this.
  5. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

I'm not sure if that would create a problem. But if it does, Have you tried setting the rods into the correct placement? it seems like it could be done by loosening the screws and re-tightening them. You'll need a better way to gauge the correct angle. You may want to use a carpenter's square or something similar

6. Kevin Schmid

Kevin Schmid New Member

Yes Jason, I was wondering about loosening those screws to. Just wanted to ask to make sure that we do not change anything for the worse. I do have the right tools to check on the correction to.

So if anyone has seen the same problem it would be assuring to me that we are on the right track.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I'd open up a ticket with Freefly Support (support@freeflysystems.com) before you start doinking (technical term) with the main support arms, Kevin. If they tell you to try that, all well and good, but otherwise you may be just digging yourself further into a hole.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

8. Kevin Schmid

Kevin Schmid New Member

Hi Andy,

We have opened two tickets with the support team and no response since over a week. So thats why we are in the forum now.
    Hope to get this solved soon too. But thanks for your advice.

Regards Kevin

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Did you get a confirmatory email that your message had been received, Kevin? FF's system sends that back automatically along with an explanation of the likely response times...did you see such a message?

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

10. Kevin Schmid

Kevin Schmid New Member

Yep, got confirmation e-mai stating 3-4 business days, ticket was opened last week. so still waiting. But thx anyhow.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

OK, well at least the ticketing system and email is functioning. I suspect FF's closed on Tuesday for the July 4 holiday -- not sure about Monday.

But, in the hope that some of my ideas might help: Have you managed to balance the MP with the camera on it OK? I realize the main support booms look misaligned, but if everything balances perfectly I'm not sure how much that might matter. The Gimbal Control Unit just "sees" a mass -- it doesn't know that the vertical booms are out of alignment unless it's causing an out-of-balance condition (which it does "see.")

I also presume that you've done an autotune. Out of curiosity, what Autotune Percentage did you use?

Finally, can you check that nothing on the MP is loose or can waggle -- any mass on the MP that can do so acts like a pendulum and will make for a crappy autotune.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  12. Kevin Schmid

Kevin Schmid New Member

Hi Andy,

We can confirm that we did the standard procedures as of manuals. Used M5 for 2 years. We did have problems with balancing the pan, logically. it was never 100 %! I do not think that the control unit will get this misaligned rod corect. Auto Tune at 60-70 %. Setup is GH5 Video Downlink, really simple. Will see what FreeFly has to say.
    Kevin

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Sounds like you've done your homework, Kevin. I'm not quite sure what else to suggest beyond, as you say, waiting for FF. Please post again once you hear from them so other forum members can benefit from what you find.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

14. Deniz Ertan

Deniz Ertan New Member

Mee too.

15. Kevin Schmid

Kevin Schmid New Member

So we have finally received a solution from tech support. In our case it is a specific issue with the carbon spine. If anyone might have a similar problem or issue, I think it is best to contact tech support and open a ticket. This, not to get other people having balancing issues on the MoVI Pro confused. Hope that helps.

Kevin

16. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

I've had a ticket open with FF support but they haven't responded in a month! Glad to hear they do still exist!

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Kevin: Could you elaborate a bit so that other forum users can recognize the "specific issue" should it happen to them, please?
    Thanks
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

18. Kevin Schmid

Kevin Schmid New Member

It seems that they are getting more support tickets as usually. We waited over 2 weeks to get movement into the case.
    Kevin

19. Kevin Schmid

Kevin Schmid New Member

Hi Andy,

So according to support it is possible to loosen the necessary bolts to allow the carbon spine tubes to be moved very very carefully into the correct position, so that the are aligned correct to pan motor assembly. But if not done right it can cause new other problems. We moved along as support told us an will do some testings next days. If it did not work, we will be back posting infos and question.

Kevin

#19 Kevin Schmid, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Kevin. What you wrote makes good sense.
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™