/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Pro, EOS R, Zoom and Focus Motors

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Brett Crow, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Brett Crow

Brett Crow New Member

Hi all,

We are putting together a rig to hang from a black arm for automotive footage. Right now I'm trying to wrap my head around how to balance the setup with my Freefly gear, or if I need to look at Ignite or Cinemilled dovetail options for counterweight. My problem is the dual rod mount from Freefly barely hangs over the edge of the baseplate and hits the receiver when trying to mount the package, so I can't move the camera far enough backwards to balance. Just curious why the rod mount was designed like this instead of flush with the baseplate height, because I'd have no problems otherwise. Is there another method for balancing a smaller body with motors attached? The FF/Zoom motors are Nucleus M.

Was looking at this Ignite rod mount which appears to be flush, though might as well just go all in and get the dovetail as well, and weights if I'm going to have to go aftermarket. We aren't able to upgrade our camera body at this time and working with what we have. I'm aware a smaller mirrorless body like the EOS R isn't ideal for balancing simplicity, but trying to make what we have work. All in all, it's a small body, front heavy package, and the rod mount gets in the way of sliding the package far enough rear to where it clips the front of the receiver on the Movi Pro. Tried a battery grip to add weight to the body and no dice there either.

Thanks! Hope I'm explaining everything clearly.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I use the Cinemilled Pro dovetail to put my DSLR on the Movi Pro, because I can add a small bit of counterweight.

Another great option from Ignite Digi is the Accessory Brackets that mount to the cage and allow you to put counterweight further back. I have them for my Movi Pro and R2, and they're very useful.

3. Brett Crow

Brett Crow New Member

Thanks for chiming in Graham. I guess if nothing can do be done with the way I'm rigging it with Freefly accessories, I'll have to go Cinemilled or Ignite. Bummer.

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

There's always a way to do it in a pinch, but if you want to make your life easier or cleaner, then there are excellent 3rd party accessories out there. I'm not sure what other equipment you have on hand, but maybe you could rig a Noga arm or ultralight clamp to add counterweight? I have Cinemilled weights in my kit, but I also have some Bearing Plates I bought for pennies at the hardware store to use as counterweights, too.