/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi out in open sea.

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Charles Lim, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Charles to be more specific on Andy's answer you need to start the MoVI while the boat is very still, no movement. Better yet while you are still on land. Put it into standby with the transmitter, sail off. Not the ocean and when you are ready to film switch into Majectic or Remote mode.

On I was thinking about some of the fishing shows on Discovery and trying to start an unpowered MoVI on anything that is pitching in the open ocean would be a challenge if not impossible.

2. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

yea once the boat was in a calm harbour the gyros were able to initialize. So I presume those movi operators in lakes and rivers should be ok.

another point to report , I tried holding in my hand and stabilizing it, in pitching sea to provide a more stable situation. Didn't work.

3. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

hey rob just curious, will you be shooting from boat to boat? if you are shooting one boat to another perhaps a boat with this could help.

4. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

any guys from freefly can confirm if this is a good idea?

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

I wouldn't do it. To my MoVI or ny of my copter boards. And for the boat find the saltiest barnacle enurusted seam n on board, get him drunk and I'll be the can hold it steady if a Force 5 gale ;)

6. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

password : eric alfred

footage from the lighthouse shoot.

7. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

to get an exposure of the lighthouse beam , i had to drop the shutter to 1/15 and shot a 15fps. The movi stabilised the camera enough to control the image from excessive motion blur.

8. bevan goldswain

If you made your own 3 axis gimbal to support the stand that should work.
    It doesn't need to be controlled by motors like the movi, just a basic gimbal to counter for the boats' roll,pitch,yaw

Gimbals have been used on boats for a really long time to support all kinds of things, So I'd be surprised if there wasn't something already that you could adapt to fit the movi stand.

*A pendulum as mentioned earlier in this thread will definitely not work, which is why no one could tell the time at sea until the wind up clock was invented.*

9. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

There are gimbals which use kenyon gyros. U mean those? You have expirence with those?

10. bevan goldswain

I have no experience with those, no.

But the physics behind the gimbal is pretty simple. I don't think you need to build something as precision as a steadicam/movi.
    All you need to do is keep the movi+stand level for around 5 seconds.

It really should work in theory... a gimbal to stabilise your gimbal ;-)

11. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member