/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi not centering up on boot.

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Rick Gerard, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

I spend the last two days using the Movi Pro on a shoot. I had a continuous problem with the pan not centering up. I didn't have time to make a movie of the problem and I'll try and do that in the next day or so. Here's what I found.

If the camera is pointed to the left when I boot up it stays pointed about 10º or 15º to the left after the boot. It tries to swing into center but slows down and stops before it gets there. The exact same thing happens when I boot up with the camera point to the right. The camera is 10º to 15º to the right.

I also notice that if I am working with the camera and I pan the ring left the camera slowly, as expected, starts moving back to center but it stops about the same 10º off center. Same thing with a pan to the right. I can slowly move the ring to center it up with the camera and the camera doesn't move.

This is consistent. I tried different auto tune settings. Double checked the balance and used the app to experiment with a lot of different settings with no improvements.

Most of the time I use a 2 operator setup with me running the Mimic and an operator handling the MoviPro rig so this problem has not shown up in the footage. Yesterday was all one man band and I was having a real problem getting the shots to properly resolve because I could not accurately predict where the pan motor would stop.

I could have also used a little more responsiveness in pan. Roll and tilt were excellent and smooth as a rock but I needed a little faster response to pan. If I jacked up the pan settings things didn't seem to improve that much and if I got high enough the rig started to vibrate.

So are there settings I'm missing? I'm still a little mistimed when it comes to settings. Basically I'd like to tighten the easing and responsiveness on pan like you can on a remote head for a jib or a motion control rig.

Anybody else having these issues? Any suggestions on tuning or settings that will give me more control over pan. A bunch of years running a Steadicam taught me how to run with the Movi but really need a better way to control pan.

The odd thing is that tilt seems to work just the way I want it to. I'm having absolutely no problems maintaining headroom and I've never touched those settings.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The MoVI Pro has a definite "front" to it, I believe. You may find that you can correct the problem by undoing the Toad in the Hole, rotating it the MoVI Pro and the Toad in the Hole male part 10 degrees to the right. Just undo the main clamping lever but do NOT press the release buttons, and hold the ring in one hand and the Toad in the other and skew it around.

Post again if that does not work, please.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

Twisting the rig did not work because if I booted with he camera pointing left it stayed pointing left, if I booted with the camera pointing right it stayed right. If i moved the ring 10º or so I got no movement and the camera never centered. I figured it out though. It was the window setting in the app. I forgot that I had set it to 30º for a test with Mimic and some real rough terrain. When I set it back to 8º, my most used setting for hand held single operator, everything went back to normal. If I set it to 12º it still hangs a bit left or right when the mimic is disconnected but it's not a real problem with dual operators.

That doesn't mean that it should not center with the window set to 30º but I got it fixed.

#3 Rick Gerard, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017