Movi Noise?

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Ronny Heredia, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Ronny Heredia

Ronny Heredia New Member

Every time I record on the Movi I hear what sounds like the motors in the video. At first I thought that it might be that I didnt balance it well since I have the moment lens and counter weight system. But then I removed it and recorded again with just the phone (no lens or counter weights) and I still hear it. Next I tried all of the "tuning settings" all of these still produced the sound including the autotune option. What should I do?

Below is a link to a video with the sound in it. In this video there is absolutely no soundcmoing from anything other than the Movi in other words the small clicking you hear panning left and right is from the Movi and the loud clunk when moving up and down is also from the Movi. This happens with and without the counter weight but is more noticeable with the counter weights and lens.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3tHyHRwd1oYAYpEM6

Thanks
    Ronny

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Ronny:
    That's very odd....I don't think anyone's reported this problem before. Just to eliminate one thing, can you shoot a similar shot with the same camera motions, but without the Movi CR -- just hand-hold the iPhone. I'd like to eliminate that the noise is coming from the iPhone itself.

If you've already done this, then I'd open up a ticket by sending an email to Freefly Support (support@freeflysystems.com) and include a link to this thread to save having to type the whole story over again.

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Ronny Heredia

Ronny Heredia New Member

Thanks yeah I had already submitted a ticket, but hadn’t heard back so wanted to try here to see if anyone else had similar issues. Thanks for your help!

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Please post again once this is resolved so that other forum members who experience the same problem can know what causes it!

Thanks
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Dave Johns

Dave Johns New Member

I have heard motors in my video before. I noticed it more when I had a Moment lens and counterweight attached. Not so much when it was iPhone X only. When I have a chance, I'll set it up to that configuration and see if it happens.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I've only tried with an iPhone 6 with the wide and the tele Moment lenses -- but not motor noise that I could hear.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

7. Ralph Nudo

Ralph Nudo New Member

I have the same issue with motor noise. I’ve used an iPhone 6 with no problem but I recently got an iPhone XR and I definitely hear a constant whirring sound and clicking during panning. I’ve found I need to use counterweights on the XR with or without the Moment Anamorphic or Wide Angle lenses. The motor noise is a problem with or without lenses. I can actually hear it if I place my ear close to Movi while moving it. I’m careful to balance correctly. I’ve placed a support request with Freefly today.

8. Andrea Bolzoni

Andrea Bolzoni New Member

Same problem for me. iPhone XS. Suppose are the microphones stereo position in the phone.

9. Andrea Bolzoni

Hi. I’ve tried to film with an external microphone. First in Movi App and then in Filmic Pro.
    In Movi App noise is still there, also when filming in Majestic (all should be balance correctly). In FilmicPro and external microphone no noise at all and clips are smoooth. I’m using the Beta version of Movi App. Hope don’t be obvious or stupid but in Beta Movi App external audio is not supported. Is it normal?

10. Andrea Bolzoni

First test when I get noise was in Echo Mode

11. Terrence Bibb

Terrence Bibb New Member

I also experienced the noise issue will using echo mode with my iphone 8 plus and moment case, moment wide/58mm and NDR filter and attachment!! It's rather loud!

12. Ralph Nudo

Ralph Nudo New Member

It apparently has to do with the iPhone audio gain self adjusting which causes it to ramp up during quiet scenes. With my iPhone 6 motor noise is very subtle but with my iPhone XR, with or without Moment lenses, the noise is considerable. Both are in Moment cases. Because of this, XR footage shot with just normal conversation is unusable. It seems the answer is to simply use an external mic. Unfortunately this complicates even simple shots. I have a Zoom h1n that does a fine job but I'd rather not have to use it all the time. I don't have Filmic Pro but I understand it does have a manual gain control for audio and that should help things. I'd like to know from Filmic users if that's been working well for them.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

You're correct Ralph. The issue is the automatic gain control (AGC) on the iPhone that, during quiet times, adjusts the gain up thinking it's being helpful, when it's actually making matters worse. I'm speculating here, but I suspect many/most Movi users will edit the resulting video that they get on some form of post-production system. If that is the case, then, of course, it's relatively easy to duck the audio down to quieten any "natural sound" (aka "nat sound") that you might be picking up that you don't want. Added to which (literally and metaphorically) one has the option of laying down a music bed that will tend to obscure the mechanical sounds.

For me (and it's a personal preference) the external mic is the way to go -- even when recording with a cam corder, the so-called "nose mic" (built-in to the camera) is not my first choice because of the extraneous nat sounds it picks up garbage nat sound (camera handling etc.) Mind you, with those kinds of cameras you often do have a means for switching off AGC.

Cheers
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™