/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Mr Red epic shakes

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Dave Ketelhut, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Dave Ketelhut

Dave Ketelhut Member

My name is Dave Ketelhut from Hello aerial. we have a movi MR and we are currently flying the Red epicM, zeiss 25mm prime lense, haden fallow focus, Teradek bolt pro 2000, the all up weight on the gimbal is just under 10 lbs. we are also using the quadrocopter gimbal adapter plate (http://www.quadrocopter.com/Gimbal-Adapter-Plate_p_1102.html). the airframe it is currently on is a modified Droidworx skyjib 8 with AMP epic motors, T-motor 60 amp esc, wookong m and 2 6s 10000 mah batteries. the all up weight of our machine is just under 32 lbs. we have been trying to tune our movi in but it seems no matter what we do we cannot get rid of shakes in the footage, we dont generally fly past 15 mph but we feel the footage could be much better. our current gain settings are Pan= 180 roll=112 Tilt=83 . all of these numbers is about as high as we can go without having the movi oscillate from too high of gains. it is balanced extremely well. on the chart it shows at any point we dont see more then 1-2% of resistance from the motors. the red is also very secure on the mount so i dont believe it is flexing on the plate.

we are currently in the process of finishing up our new gryphon X8 1000mm airframe with Upower u7 motors, T-motor 80amp esc, DJI a2, 2 6s 10000 mah batteries. we are going to do more testing with this rig shortly because of how much more stable it seems to fly in windier conditions.

we are also planning on testing harder damper orings in our damper vibration plate. at the moment we have the "blue" dampers which were medium stiffness, we now built one that has black orings that seem to be much stiffer. from what i have been reading it seems this might be effecting our video quality if the damper plates are bottoming out.

on a side note, do you guys have any setting recommendations for lighter cameras like gh4 and canon?

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great!

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave when you set the gains are you hanging the copter so that it is suspended in the air? That will make a gain setting difference. Video of the issue also helps.

3. Dave Ketelhut

Dave Ketelhut Member

we are actually tuning while its flying in the air, we have tried doing it on the ground and holding the airframe up in the air but found the best way was with our tablet and tuning based on video footage. i can try and get a short clip of some of the footage for you guys.

4. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Dave, you can do a test with the Movi off, just put a strap or two so the camera stays level, and that should tell you if vibration is getting through to the gimbal. If it is, then you know where to start looking.
    If not, then I would look into the advanced settings and increase the gyro or motor filtering depending on the frequency of the shakes. Those are explained in the manual.
    I had a recent experience with a system having intermittent shakes, and it was due to the clamps slipping and putting the camera out of balance. I know you said everything is secure, so this might not be the cause, but it's worth a look because it can be so sensitive.

5. Dave Ketelhut

Dave Ketelhut Member

it isnt a high frequency vibration, im still trying to get some footage from our video guy which will help. its more or less a "jerk" usually noticeable on the pan and the roll. but when it happens it is just a jerk or two and can ruin the shot. outside of that the footage looks really nice and smooth. we changed the gimbal plate dampers to a stiffer rubber and it seemed to happen less often but still does it every once in a while. ill post up some footage soon!