/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi MR pan balance problem

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Tuukka Ylonen, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Hi

I can´t balance the MR pan axis well with the available adjustments. The pan is still nose heavy and I can't move the drop tube backwards anymore as the black box hits the landing gear leg already (red arrow).

Is OK to move the tiltl bars backwards by releasing the locking screws (blue arrow)? Alternatively I would have to replace the CF tube where the Movi drop tube is attached with a longer one to allow to move the Movi further back.

As you can see I already have two batteries in the back so I can't add anymore weight there.

Opinions?

Attached Files:

2. Hi,
    From the angle of the photo you have provided, it looks as though you have not balanced the camera properly. The lens is tilting down. Is that from it not being balanced properly or did you purposely position it that way? You seem to have plenty of room to physically move the camera back and re-position the camera/plate position.
    If you have any further issues please contact us at support@freeflysystems.com

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Tuukka when you do the balancing on pan you need to hang the copter. Hard to tell if it is hanging on simply sitting on the landing gear.

4. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

@ Chris: The camera is perfectly balanced. It stays put in any tilt/roll position. I have had the 3 Axis gimbal before Movi so I know the importance of balancing the camera properly and how to do it.

@ Gary. All the balancing was naturally done with the copter hanging. Horizontally on roll/tilt balancing and vertically on pan balancing. Just as it is shown on one of the Freefly Youtube videos.

5. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

G'Day Tuuka,

the physics will work adjusting those tubes ... do you have anything mounted on the forward landing gear legs, these will have a long moment arm, and a small amount of weight added to the front legs, may be the having the adverse effect on the pan balance that you are seeing. If you move the transmitter to the aft leg, or down onto the roll bar, or tilt bar it may help as well.

Just 2 cents worth ;)

Cheers

Chris

6. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Chris: The video TX and small 3s lipo are placed on the right lg leg viewed from camera. This is compensating for the weight of the tilt motor and is needed there. I tried many setups with the camera lipos and the video Tx/lipo and this was the ideal setup. I could have achieved very good balance if I would have been able to move the drop tube more backwards.

7. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

G'Day Tuukka,

You can replace the pan tube with a longer one or move the weight of the battery and transmitter aft of the centre line of the pan motor to achieve balance. You should not need to offset the weight of the tilt motor with the video TX, you can do that by sliding the role bar across, or the camera on the tilt bar to the left or right.

Cheers
    Chris

8. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Well Chris I am not balancing the camera roll/tilt with the video TX. I am fully aware of the balancing options for the camera roll/tilt on the gimbal.

I am balancing the pan axis and the video TX is attached to one of the lg legs. So it is not connected to roll/tilt in any way and it does not affect their balance.

9. Joe Lawry

Joe Lawry Member

I throw a 4s 5000mah pack on the rear leg when flying the epic (also powers the cam) solves all roll balance issues even with PL glass.

10. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Just another note: Replacing the top boom with a longer one could give you more space for moving backwards instead of throwing some weight to the behind. It's easy to source the booms over ebay.