/dist/images/branding/favicon

MOVI MOVES "DISTRO BOX"

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Eric Ulbrich, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

Hey guys,
    So as promised here are a few pics of my new setup with the custom distro box and cable. Note that this is a PROTOTYPE only and I am still working on some bits and pieces. I have spent a lot of time putting it all together and id be interested in selling them, so if anyone is interested and can provide enough orders to justify bringing it to market I would be interested.

As you can see all the cable is custom, from the right angle epic l-pac power connector and bound BNC to the 6' long touchscreen monitor cable.

On the distro box you have
    2 4 pin XLR in and out for hot-swap and battery block or battery belt clip plug in
    1 3 pin epic power lemo
    1 2 pin paralinx arrow crossbow power
    1 3 pin lemo to movi power (cable not pictured, I run with the lipos but if i get in a pinch I have the ability to power off the distro box.
    1 HDSDI passthru (in case you don't use the epic touch screen you can feed video to a HDSDI monitor and the paralinx at the same time.)
    1 p-tap to power any additional accessories

Whole thing with a battery weighs less than 2 lbs

All power is regulated and made specifically for whats being plugged into it. Nothing will ever get over volted

On the receiving side Ive built a custom battery bracket and baby pin with the paralinx reciever and a HDMI to a dual HDSDI converter for both the assistant and the directors monitor. This will run off p-tap and be powered all day off a single gold mount battery. I call it THE NODE as it provides all the video routing needed and can be placed on a c-stand anywhere on set.

As you can tell the down-tube has been changed out for something a bit more colorful and wont slip during aggressive tilting. Ive also made some speedrail fittings to boost the rig up higher (not pictured.)

Lately for focus ive been using the Heden Carat with great results. Power comes from the distro box down to the MDR (i have a custom p-tap getting installed on the pan axis soon that will remove this cable entirely.

You may think that this is too many cables and too much weight, however nothing binds up and the whole system works beautifully, the camera, fiz and wireless video never lose power and the whole rig now gets powered off two batteries (the gold mount and the movi lipo for the rig.)

After this modification a full epic weights between 10-10.5 lbs with lens and filters. Big improvement from the 12-13 it weighed before the battery and excess junk was removed.

So thats what im doing... Now time to jump on another flight to a shoot. :)
    If anyone has questions or is interested hit me up...

Attached Files:

Sergio Iván and ss kiran reddy like this.
  2. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

P.S. Sorry for the shitty iphone pictures...

3. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Great job Looks good. Have you done any fast moves/transitions or running/jogging with that setup? Those thick heavy cables won't be a problem for walking slow movement type shots but fast moves or running may pose an issue. If you see shakes, slight jitter or jolts when running or jogging it's the cabling.

4. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

was on the back of an atv at 40 MPH in the sand dunes yesterday doing whip pans. No problems at all.

Did a job last week running through a car dealership, dual op, whip pans again, everything was turned up all the way, no issue.

Its important when selecting the right cable to make sure its thin enough but still robust. Ive done a lot of research and the cabling Ive found gives the best of both worlds.

5. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

You have to remember as well that if you follow how movi has cabled the rig and are carful with your lengths you shouldn't have any issues.

6. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

The big LCD cable works fine for slow stuff but I haven't been able to get it to work for all positions. Sometimes it will just slowly push a shot down or up - gradually.

What's that filter holder? That is a godsend.

7. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

Again, I must reiterate. Follow the wiring that movi has done for the rig. It makes all the difference in the world. If your having problems its cause its not routed on the rig properly.

8. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

The filter holder is acutally the reduction ring and clamp on apparatus for an lmb-15. If you remove the filter trays, sunshade and eyebrow you can simply tape 2-3 filters on the clamp apparatus. Any good 1st AC can do this. Not that you would just be able to fly this really, with the weight you can fly the full lmb on the rig. Its just harder to get the damn verticle CG balance cause the lens and mattebox hit the top pan motor!!!!!

9. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Eric, fair enough, I will give it a shot. I'm just going off of Tabb's own words on an earlier thread, but since you've gotten good results I will try again. Personally I would prefer to use a SmallHD for the weight reduction and less cabling. No matter how well you route the cables the rig will still have to fight against the mass of the cables and the resistance of them at various positions. It's good to know that this is an option, however - thanks for posting it! And thanks for the info about the filter holder. I've developed a bit of balancing-fu for when I can't tilt up 90 degrees to nail the drop stage balancing - but it's awkward.

10. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

Is your red top crossbar aluminum?

11. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

No worries Brett!
    Im just showing people what ive found works in a clear way. The small HD is heavier than a 5.6" touchscreen though so why would you want to put the heavier weight on the rig? I understand everyone is worried about cables, but its I believe that the rig is sturdy enough and so well built by freefly that a small amount of cable interference is manageable by the gimbals.

Honestly, I rarely have found a shot that was too complex or provided un-wanted results. I think this is a true testament to the beauty and thought that has gone into building the movi and I think freefly should be applauded for that.

I hear you on the balancing-fu. Its incredible how tolerant the rig is though!

12. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

Its a special type of alloy that has aluminum and other ingredients in it. Very light, think bike handlebars.

13. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

Does it resonate any less than the CF one?

14. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

Yes, a little weight doesn't hurt the rig in the right place.

15. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

Good to know, thanks

16. ss kiran reddy

ss kiran reddy New Member

I am purchasing the m10 and redrock micro wireless FF and teradek bolt pro and a samurai blade. Your solution is just fantastic. May I know if I can purchase the customised distribution box and the cables from you and the costs involved. Thank you.

17. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Hi Eric, do you have any fast moving footage shot with your rig? Would love to see some.

18. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Running shots

19. Daniel Velluet

Daniel Velluet New Member

We have order a Movi M10 and we want a solution for professional "ready out of the Box :

here some questions and the answers ofAliexpress which confirm that the product is to be assembled by that which buys it :

thank you for your message and interesting.

sorry, for the BG003 and BG001, it is not including the controller and battery.

and for controller, some of our customer recommend that the controller use the alexmos.
    but we don't test it.
    hope your understand.

and for the battery, the BG001 use the 3s 2200mah, 11.1 V.
    BG003 use the 4s or 6s.
    please have a check.

and below link is about the video of BG001.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhuo82QBPpE
    please have a check.

BG001

http://lesprod.ru/store/product/BG0...bal-Mount-with-new-180T/109347_903692102.html
    BG003

http://lesprod.ru/store/product/BG0...mera-gimbal-Red-Gimbal/109347_1304000156.html

http://famoushobby.com
    http://mymobilemms.com/OFFTHEGRIDWATER.CA/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=468

20. Arturo Bernardi

hi Eric
    Which cable did you use in that setup to connect the red touch?
    Thanks