/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Mount Accessory Options

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Mike Norris, May 24, 2018.

1. Mike Norris

Mike Norris New Member

HI - just a suggestion here. It would be great to have some additional options for the mount accessory. The 2 screws supplied might be find for some but for the rode mics that I have, and the hot shoe mounts that I have laying around, I am left in the lurch. All in all, it means a trip to the local camera store to get some parts so I can get a mic attached to my iPhone. I would suggest providing just a threaded insert for the adpater so a hot shoe could be attached. This would address a lot of accessory options. Most of my camera cases have threaded holes all over the place. Surprised Freefly did not move in this direction.

Another hard lesson I learned is that a stereo 3.5mm plug does not work with the lighting port on the iPhone 10. You have to get an adapter to make it mono or be sure to get a mic that has a the 3 rings on the plug to work the the iPhone 10. Kind of a drag to take a stereo mic and dumb it down as mono.

If the company has some suggestions for external mics that would be helpful.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Mike, I used these cold shoe adapters to attach a Sennheiser MKE 400 to the cold shoe. I did have to grind down the 1/4 x 20 machine screws that FF provided as they were a tad too long for the threaded insert in the cold shoe adapters.

You're right -- Apple has created quite a problem for recording stereo audio. The Zoom X-Y mics (such as this one) that are out there have Lightning connectors but assume that they can plug directly into the iPhone and thus the geometry doesn't work for the Movi CR, I'm afraid. I've not found a thin, flexible, Lightning extension cable (preferably short and coiled) that I could use for the Zoom mics.

As you say, the best one can do for the moment is the Lightning to 3.5mm TRRS (Tip Ring Ring Shank) female adapter cable -- but the mics that tend to support the 3.5mm TRRS jacks are mono.

Please post again if you find a better solution.
    Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Darrin Altman

Darrin Altman Member

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Good find, Darrin -- it looks like those cold shoes have enough thread so that the FF 1/4 - 20's don't bottom out.

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Mike Norris

Mike Norris New Member

Thanks Andy and Darrin,

I was reading this just as I was grinding down an it to place in the adapter! But the cold shoe mounts are a great find.

Cheers,
    Mike

6. Mike Norris

Mike Norris New Member

Sorry all thumbs. Grinding down a nut was what I meant to say.

7. Edrolfo Leones

Edrolfo Leones New Member

In addition to the Hoodie Accessory Mount (or in lieu of it), I've been considering an L-bracket to the left and mounted to the Movi's tripod mount.

These are what I've found on Amazon recently... There might be some issue if using an ultra-wide angle lens attachment, but should be able to compensate by slightly more physical panning movement ahead of the lens(?). Will need to test further.

SafariScreenSnapz103.jpg SafariScreenSnapz102.jpg