/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVi M5 sharp tilt jolt issue

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Adam Kirby, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Adam Kirby

Adam Kirby New Member

Hi,

I've been having a few MoVi M5 stiffness issues recently, so figured it was worth checking all screws and tightening any up that were maybe slightly loose.

Anyway, after giving the MoVi the once over, I now have a horrible tilt issue. The Tilt constantly 'jolts' either up or down which makes the shots completely unusable.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm flying the Canon 1DC and 16-35 f2.8 and this has never happened before. I did notice that the MoVi seemed to be missing 2 screws, so I replaced them, but now I'm wondering if there were never any screws there in the first place (pics below). The video showing the problem in action is here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ufk92361upleb8u/AABRd9_dAFMB0aQU1zQLpj4Ya?dl=0

MoVi_screw1.jpg MoVi_screw2.jpg

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I think this might be something for FF to help you with Adam. Have you sent an email to support@freeflysystems.com ? If not, I'd suggest you do so ASAP rather than make anything worse! :)

Andy.

3. Adam Kirby

Adam Kirby New Member

Hi Andy,

Yes I sent the same message to FF via email. Hopefully they'll be able to help soon.

Cheers

Adam

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Friction/Binding of the additional control cables? Weight of camera/Accy, right at 5# limit? Batteries? I see 3 green lights so I would think balance/overall weight/binding. Maybe a short clip, same movement shot from the front of your rig.

5. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

The screw that you replaced in the second pic which is the tilt motor, if it is too long it will most likely go right into the motor windings, cutting through the insulator on the wires shorting them out, which is really bad news.

Wayne Mann

Roy Mills likes this.
  6. Adam Kirby

Adam Kirby New Member

And does anyone know how long the screw should be? I used the standard 8mm length which came with the MoVi M5 repair kit. How would I check this?

7. Adam Kirby

Adam Kirby New Member

Balancing, Friction, cables etc are how it's been for well over a year without this problem. I'll try and upload a clip of the actual shot with the tilt jolt once I'm back from my shoot.

Thanks

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ok, have you tried new batteries? As Andy mentioned time for a ticket to Freefly.