/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVI M5 GPS is not finding Satellites?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Josh Lambeth, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,
    I finally bought a MoVI and love it so far! Only thing I am noticing is I've never had a successful GPS lock. Even after being on outside for 10+ minutes it still reads 0 in the app. Any ideas why this may happen?

Also I am used to being able to tilt the gimbal side to side to get the Pan Axis perfectly balanced. I can't do that on this gimbal and it seems heavy on the left side even though the Roll is balanced perfectly. What are others doing to balance it out that way? Forward and back balance is perfect, so is tilt.

Thanks guys!

2. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Josh, I can't answer your GPS question but about pan balance: You're right, it's only possible to balance pan in only one dimension. I will also glad to hear if there is a solution for this other than adding counter weight to the gimbal. I couldn't find a solution for this. Personally, I would prefer a M10 style pan balancing system on M5.

Josh Lambeth likes this.
  3. Josh Lambeth

I am half tempted to buy the quick release pan down-tube that you can buy for the M10 and swap it out for the M5...

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Josh: For the GPS issue, I'd suggest you email to support@freeflysystems.com -- you should be able to get a GPS lock if you're outside with a good sky view and not near any sources of radio interference.

Andy.

5. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

That wouldn't work since the bar connected to the pan motor is not round; it has a rail on it. M10's pan knuckle is round.

6. Josh Lambeth

I would replace that CF tube as well so it doesn't have the rail.

Josh

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Josh Freefly found that the M5 design didn't require the two step pan adjustment. If you get the MR kit for the M5 then you get a straight tube like the M10. At NAB the M15's being shown only had the in/back movement for balance.

8. Josh Lambeth

Hmm.... I'll go back through and try again then! But everything else is balanced... the odd part is that I put the VTx on the right side but the left is still heavy? Even when I remove the FF battery from the battery holder the left is still heavy. Doesn't make sense to me.

9. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

Gary my MR kit for the M5 came with a slotted tube as well just like the handheld version. What camera and lens Josh? Mine is able to balance perfectly with my 5D and kit lens.

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Josh are you seeing any sat count in the GUI? Which GUI and tablet are you using? I just checked my M5 and Mac was at 7 sats sitting inside, and then checked my Nexus7. Had 8 sats and all green lights.

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Tristan the MR kit for the M5 should come with a smooth replacement tube for the pan axis. It is longer and the landing gear clamps are all for the round tube. There may have been a mixup on your kit. Any photos you can share?

12. Tristan Twisselman

Yea Ill take some right now and post up

13. Tristan Twisselman

It still has a rail but there is a smooth spot for the landing gear clamp. This is correct right? I think I made it seem like mine was completely slotted?

Attached Files:

14. Josh Lambeth

Hi Gary,
    No I don't see anything. I left my gimbal outside today for 10 minutes while I waited inside (105* outside) and still nothing. Shows 0 on my GUI.

Josh

15. Josh Lambeth

I have been talking with Chris from FF and he is talking to some techs to see what may be the issue.

Josh

16. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

This may be obvious, but do you have a video TX on your copter? Is it powered up? What kind/freq is it?
    On my quad, I found that my 1.3gHz 1000mW vTX was clobbering my GPS receiver. Was barely able to get more than 4-5 sats. I eventually separated the vTX antenna and GPS receiver to opposite ends of the copter, and now I get 12-14 sats and a quick lock.

17. Veve Borimov

Veve Borimov Member

Hi Josh,

Any luck with the GPS Lock? Did support find an answer for you?

Thanks