/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi M15 spins/pans on startup

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Mike Gorenberg, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Mike Gorenberg

Mike Gorenberg New Member

Just got my Movi M15 back from Freefly. When I turn it on... the gimbal just starts to pan/spin. It's not trying to find forward since it'll go on endlessly. How do I stop that and just get into single-user mode? It's hard to even setup with the APP since it starts doing this right on startup.

On a shoot this weekend and can't get ahold of support.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Sounds like a cable has come loose in transmit, Mike. I'd double check all the cables -- you need to remove some access covers to get to them all.

Andy.

3. Mike Gorenberg

Hey Andy -- actually traded some emails with someone monitoring the support emails at Freefly -- he suggested the same thing and told me the places to look. I've looked through all the sets of cables that were mentioned.

From his email:
    ----
    My best guess at this point is that a cable is loose somewhere and is causing a short. Places to check for loose cables:

• At the bottom of the MCU, under the power switch cover (instructions here for how to remove switch cover and notes on proper orientation of cable connections).
    • At the pan motor, under the strain relief cover.
    • At the bottom of the GCU, under the strain relief cover (instructions here in the second half, for how to remove cover). Check all cable connections for proper seating. These are keyed and only have a single orientation.
    • Under the camera tray, the IMU. There is a strain relief cover with our logo on it. Couple screws to pull the cover and make sure the cable is fully seated.
    I've done all that and still nothing. Same problem. Finally got the APP to connect and can stop the panning when I turn PAN STIFFNESS to 0. Wrote that to the system and tried resetting the controller (also suggested). As soon as I reboot and then turn stiffness to anything other than 0, the endless spinning begins again.
    Was considering trying to reinstall firmware -- but not sure that's the issue.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Well, reinstalling the firmware couldn't hurt, but might not fix anything. You should then try and autotune with the autotune percentage at 75% (going from memory, that's the value for the M15, I think).

I'm glad you got a response from FF -- they're a pretty dedicated bunch -- and I also sent an email "cry for help" on your behalf.

For each cable connector, rather than just checking it visually, I'd carefully pull each connector out -- use a small screwdriver rather than pulling on the wires and re-insert it.

Hope that helps.
    Andy

5. Mike Gorenberg

Autotune sends it spinning immediately. I did try pulling each connector and re-inserting except the one under the IMU -- not sure there's a connection there I can undo if I'm looking at the right place.

Person at Freefly tried I think -- but couldn't get ahold of the tech that just repaired my unit. Had a similar problem the first time I used it but that was multiple axis going bonkers. It eventually got resolved, but had to send it to Freefly to repair the GPS cable that got damaged in the spin. Now it's back and doing this (of course on a weekend job).

6. Mike Gorenberg

Tried firmware... didn't work. Freefly guy says it probably wouldn't make a difference either. Seems to think it might be an encoder or GCU issue. Says this could be an encoder issue since it should never have to go farther than 359 degrees to hit the 'front.' Apparently you can do a manual encoder calibration -- but he needs a tech to explain how. You wouldn't happen to know?

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's incredibly frustrating. I'm afraid I don't know what else to suggest. I've never been told how to do a manual encodet calibration, I'm afraid.

Wish I could be of more help.
    Andy.

8. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

May be a stupid question, but are you using the Toad in the Hole to attach your Movi to the Handles? Is that locked down solid? If it's loose, the Movi can spin.