/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi M15 boot problems

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Constantin Braesteanu, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Constantin Braesteanu

After on power the 3 green leds on for one sec and then off and remain off. What is wrong? The LiPo battery is full charged. What tests can I make to detect where is the problem? Can anyone help me? I am in Europe.
    Many thanks.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Did you try holding the camera really steady for 10-15 seconds while it boots?

Also, you should check the connections under the back plate. Look up an article in the knowledge base about the 'Tilt Axis is Limp'. That has solved this problem for me. Push down on those cable connections under the back plate.

And hold the camera really really still while it boots.

Constantin Braesteanu likes this.
  3. Constantin Braesteanu

Many thanks for the fast response.
    The connectors on the back plate are very good push inside. The boot module can start without command connectors for gears plugged on the top of command module? Only with connectors under back plate connected? I try to boot without any camera on ghimbal but I try for 3-4 minutes only. After power on the three leds became on (green) for 1-2 sec and then off. And remain off and no sound or move. Can I find any schematic to coupling connectors or a block schematic to understand how system work because I am new in this job and I must to learn before to work with this advanced stabilization system. Orders are orders from my boss :)).
    Many thanks again.

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why you might have disconnected anything, and I sort of assumed you'd worked with this Movi before and somehow it stopped working.

It sounds like you haven't worked with a Movi before, is that correct? It may very well not like the fact that you have no camera on it.

You really need to put weight on the gimbal, normally a camera, and you need to balance the camera properly so it can remain motionless in any position. Then you need to get control of the Movi with the Freefly app via bluetooth, but you can't do that until you get the Movi booted up and happy.

The Movi takes about 10 to 15 seconds to boot up, and it needs to remain motionless and in the proper orientation (up\down\left\right) before the 3 lights will come on. If you're not waiting for this to happen while you keep a hand on the gimbal, then that's your first issue. I've seen even a light breeze moving the Movi around and cause boot-up errors.

If you've waited and aren't either getting three solid lights or three blinking lights on the back, then that's a problem. But the Movi really needs weight and needs to be still while it goes through the initialization.

Next, you need to get control of the Movi through the app, and there you can tune it. The Movi may come with the motor stiffnesses turned off, at 0, and you would typically do an Autotune with your camera in balance. That is a good start to figure out how much motor Stiffness you need.

If you are having trouble with those steps, then maybe there's a problem with your Movi.

And yes, I've run into a problem with the Movi not booting up fully because I had a loose connection under that plate, which is why I mention it. Or maybe that wasn't the real issue at the time, I don't know, but after taking off the plate and pushing the connections in, I got the Movi on and I felt much relieved because it was with a lot of people watching me try to get the thing going.

One final thing: Do you have a battery checker that can test your battery's 4 separate cells? I have had a Freefly battery die on me because one of the four cells went bad, but I might not know it if I didn't have a simple Lipo Tester like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Moni...F8&qid=1473836216&sr=8-8&keywords=lipo+tester

5. Constantin Braesteanu

Many thanks for response. Yes, you guess I am electric engineer and the gimbal arrived to me after he was used and (like operators said) the gimbal suddenly stop work and remain in the stop state (as I described). After I open the plastic cap (on the part where is power connector) I discover on the power jack (that is solder on PCB) on the negative pole, a sign that plastic was very hot and melt, a sign that indicated me one thing. The pole maybe was inverted (I tested with power cable removed from PCB sure :)) if someone rush can put wrong polarity on power jack (not jack from PCB but pair of orange connectors on the wires between LiPo battery and device). That indicated me a huge consumption in very short time maybe a bad connection or inverted polarity for a short time. First, I replaced the mosfet 016N04LS chipset from P.S. pcb. and the gimbal didn't start yet and remain in stdby (with the three leds that became on for 1-2 sec.). After that operations I write to forum. Meanwhile the gimbal was sent to operators team and one of operator say me that gimbal start to work after reset gears (????) and operate normally. I will start to learn about how operate gimbals for my knowledge.

Many thanks again for precious and professional info and advices.
    Best regards.

6. It is not recommend that you take you MoVI apart to check cable connections unless specifically instructed by a Freefly technician, and only when the symptoms warrant it. Also, you should not use the 'Tilt Axis is Limp' knowledge base article as a reference when the unit does not show those symptoms.
    The 'Tilt Axis is Limp' knowledge base article is to be used when the Pan & Roll axis engaged, but not the Tilt, only AFTER the MoVI has booted up properly. Yes, you can also check the other two axis connections using the same procedure, but if the unit is not even booting up properly, there are several other more common causes not related to an unseated connection that, as it is highly unlikely all three axis connections have been unseated at the same time.

More often than not, the cause of many MoVI symptoms can be resolved without taking the MoVI apart, and many are due to human error. Finally, please be aware that by taking your MoVI apart, you have voided any existing warranty.

If you continue to have issues or have any further questions, please contact us at support@freeflysystems.com.

7. Constantin Braesteanu

Many thanks for response Chris.
    Device is out of warranty and I is very expensive for us to sending device in freefly service. Where I can find a pdf or a document with basic tests instructions in case of trouble with the system? Thanks to God that gimbal work again :). BTW in my opinion the connectors from M15 are weak. You can test yourself the power connector between LiPo battery and gimbal (of course after remove black power jack from power board :)). It can be put inverted because plastic protection from mother connector became a little large after utilization :).
    Many thanks again for info and advices.
    Thanks again to Graham for fast and precious response.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

BIG COS:
    If it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/

Thanks

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

9. Constantin Braesteanu

Ok. I modifyed my profile.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks, Constantin. Much appreciated!
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert