/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi laptop app vs mobile app

Discussion in 'Software Solutions' started by daniel clarke, Aug 11, 2016.

1. daniel clarke

daniel clarke Member

I updated my m5 with the new akira firmware so i could use the new time lapse function, i did this with my macbook pro, which i had to update the operating system in order to use the latest version of the app which took hours. all this because i didn't want to have to buy the wifi unit, i thought my macbook will do it all. turns out that you don't get the same GUI (graphical user interface ) on the laptop app as you do on the mobile app. so setting up the time-lapse feature on a laptop is way more difficult and you don't get the same ease of use as the mobile app. another reason not to buy the wifi adapter was that you could not use it to update the firmware anyway. It would seem whatever you pick you have to compromise, "mobile apps you can't update firmware" or "laptop app you don't get the nice interface" If i am wrong someone please let me know.
    Guess i better order a wifi adapter!!

very frustrated.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Daniel, I bought a cheap-ish $150 7" tablet with Android software that's dedicated to my Movi. The Wifi adapter means you can't have the Mimic working at the same time, since they use the same port on the Movi. With the dedicated tablet, I don't worry about running down the battery on my phone on set, and I can rent the Movi out to others with a working, dedicated tablet, apps installed, etc. The Android app seems to be the most trouble-free way of working with the Movi, gives you the graphical touchscreen interface you want, and updates firmware with no problems.

3. daniel clarke

daniel clarke Member

Hi Graham

thanks for your reply, i forgot that the bluetooth works on android devices. i set up the app on an old android phone last night and it seems to work good. maybe a cheep android tablet might be worth getting like you say.

all the best

cheers

Graham Futerfas likes this.