/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi heading

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Chris Gerding, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Chris Gerding

Chris Gerding Member

IMG_5206.JPG
    I'm back from the shoot with our movi on my Camera Ranger. I did have one issue that I would like to remedy.

The movi is hard mounted. If I turned the ranger 90*, the camera would stay pointing the same direction (with the movi set to remote and no one panning the camera). So if the movi was pointed straight off the back of the ranger, it now would be pointed straight of the side. I tried all 4 options of heading assist including off.
    This would be the same as if on a copter and you adjusted yaw 90*.
    For the future, I need to be able to turn (yaw) the ranger and not have the movi automaticity pan to stay pointed to the same heading.
    Maybe it's not heading assist but I didn't see anything else that it might be.

Thoughts?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Chris, how were you remote-controlling Pan and Tilt? With a Movi Controller? Mimic? Something else?

Heading Assist: Fixed Mount should have helped. The Movi will follow the Panning of the Toad in the Hole connection in this mode, even when set to Remote\Dual Op control. Maybe it was too slow for you though. I do wish we had more control over Fixed Mount settings... how big of a window and how much smoothness gets applied to it, but actually Freefly could do a better job describing Heading Assist in its documentation.

3. Chris Gerding

Chris Gerding Member

We are using a controller. I tried all heading assist modes and they all seemed to act the same.

4. Graham Futerfas

Fixed mount should have worked. It won't be perfect, but it will keep the Movi pointed in roughly the same direction relative to the vehicle as it turns. There will be a little lag, and it will take a second to settle in to the same framing, but it won't behave the same as if you had heading assist off.

So, for instance, if you're in Remote and controlling Pan and Tilt with the Movi Controller, and you point the Movi straight ahead and then vehicle turns right, the Movi will stay straight relative to the vehicle if you're in Fixed Mount, and hence will pan right with the vehicle. It will probably take a moment to drift into the right spot behind the vehicle's turn, which is a setting\behavior I'd like Freefly to allow us to adjust in the app -- or just follow the Majestic settings, but it doesn't.

If Heading Assist is Off (or Compass or GPS), the Movi will keep pointing in the direction it was pointing, no matter what the vehicle does... so if it was pointing North when the vehicle turned East, it will still be pointing North.

5. Graham Futerfas

You can test it at home or anytime on the handlebars if you want -- you don't need a vehicle to mount it to again.

Set up your Movi s if you're going handheld, turn on Remote control with the Movi Controller, and try the different heading assists while you pick up the handle bars and pan the Movi.

With Heading Assist off, the Movi will always point in one direction, no matter how you turn the handles. With Heading Assist in Fixed Mount, it should follow your panning movements, even though you're not touching the Movi Controller.

6. Rob Weidner

Rob Weidner New Member

Graham or anyone else. I have a Movi Pro that isn't responding to how it really should when mounted to a vehicle. No matter what heading assist I put on, it still pans when the car turns. Anyone care to share their complete settings for this?

7. Graham Futerfas

Hmmm... Normally I'd use Heading Assist OFF on a vehicle if I'm using the Movi as a remote head. It wouldn't matter in Majestic Mode.

A couple of questions so I understand your issue:
    What FIRMWARE are you using? The new Beta Blackjack firmware has a whole new Heading Assist protocol.

Are you using the Movi as a remote head? With which controller?

When you say it pans when the car turns, do you mean it Majestically pans with the car, to stay with the relative direction of the vehicle, or that it pans so that it's always facing a certain direction, like North, for instance. Of these two options, which do you prefer?