/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi glitch in flight

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Ian Howe, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Kjetil what remote system are you using? Spektrum, Futaba, MoVI controller, something else?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Kjetil what remote system are you using? Spektrum, Futaba, MoVI controller, something else?

3. kjetil tønnesen

hello sorry for late response here
    i use the dx 8 spektrum thats comes with the movi M5

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Kjetil: Did you get the Spektrum DX8 from the USA (from Freefly) or did you buy it in Europe. European transmitters emit much less radio frequency power.

Andy.

Sergi Medina likes this.
  5. kjetil tønnesen

yes i buy it from my norwegian dealer

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

It would still be worth checking that it is set to USA power settings -- the EU power setting is significantly lower I believe.

Andy.

7. kjetil tønnesen

how do i do that?

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

See if you can find the model number of the transmitter (it may be on a label on the underside).
    For the US models there is a label on the underside of the transmitter that has some FCC numbers and says "Not for use in the EU." That tells you it's the US model (because it's radiating too much radio frequency power for the EU regulations).

But I'd then talk to the dealer so you can better understand the situation.

Going from memory, US transmitters are set to radiate 200 milliwatts of RF power, but the legal limit in the EU is 100 milliwatts. As you might expect, with only half the radiated RF power you will only get a 1/4 of the range (radio waves obey the inverse square law).

Andy.

Sergi Medina likes this.
  9. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

We are still having this problem from time to time. There doesn't appear to by a clear pattern to it. It happened twice today. It is a hard bump on tilt. It is not briefly switching into majestic mode as that was what we were flying at the time. We can go weeks without issue and out of the blue it pops up. Very odd.

10. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

I recommend switching to a graupner transmitter with a GR-16 receiver. Having the two, longer antennas will help when you put them at a 90 deg angle from each other. The graupner will have much better range. I had experimented with adding a receiver and extra satellite to my Spektrum, but I didn't get much better range and still had dropouts.

Futaba would be a huge improvement too, but you can get some pretty great deals on a Graupner MX-12.

11. Rolf Ableiter

Rolf Ableiter Active Member

it would be very helpful if the MoVI wouldn`t switch to "majestic" mode when loosing the RC signal... this can save the shot.

i have the same problems with my DX7s. It ruined a lot of shots yesterday. Not funny... :(

12. Mark McGuire

Mark McGuire Distributor

Had exactly the same problems with the stock setup on 2 m5's, one we tried adding an ar6210, but the same problem persisted, in the end we switched both movi's to Futaba s-bus receiver & 8J radio.. & the problem was cured, way more range & a solid reliable link when flying....

13. Rolf Ableiter

Rolf Ableiter Active Member

any experiences whats better? DSMX or DSM2?
    i think DSM2 is more stable but limited to one frequence and DSMX is a frequence hopping system but with smaller bandwidth.
    i placed the spektrum sat to the back of the MoVI (rear motor - where the encoder is) with the antenna facing down (one to the left and the other one down). I tested through two walls and still had a connection (DSMX).
    But i still think it would be better to have a failsafe within the receiver like in normal RC Receivers. For the MoVI it would work if channel 1,5,6,7 stay where they are and 2-4 are centered in failsafe mode.

could it be a problem with the 5.8GHZ video transmitter (200mW)? Mine is at the rear gear leg, with the antenna facing down.

i used radians and the same videotransmitter before i had the MoVI and didn't have any problems (with spektrum for radians).

EDIT: there is a spektrum sat for carbon fuselage - i think with longer antenna. Did anyone tested this?