/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Controller with RT Motion Latitude?

Discussion in 'MōVI Controller' started by Matt Beardsley, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Matt Beardsley

Are there any plans for the Movi Controller to integrate with RT Motion Latitude and Foolcontrol?

Mike King likes this.
  2. Harry Mustermann

Harry Mustermann New Member

That would be just great...

Mike King and Matt Beardsley like this.
  3. Mike King

Mike King Member

Please make this happen!

Matt Beardsley likes this.
  4. Chad Lancaster

Chad Lancaster New Member

I've talked with Mark at Offhollywood about a movi module that would work with the movi controller, use rt motion motors, and have long range fool control. It may be possible and its being looked into. I'll let you know if it happens

5. Matt Beardsley

Nice. Something like OH's Poe module that kept its Latitude radio, option for wireless video Tx, and added a receiver for Movie Controller (assuming Movi Controller could bind to receivers on both the camera and gimbal) would get the job done.

Alternatively, a Latitude box mounted on the Movi Controller could be fed FIZ and start-stop commands from the controller over its thumbwheel inputs and be a long-range interface for camera and Foolcontrol using a second Latitude or OH Poe mounted on the camera. Then the Movi would keep its receiver. With a video Tx and low-profile V-lock also mounted to the camera, it would mean no more cables between Movi and Red, and a whole lot of aerial camera control we don't have now.. With an iOS device clamped to the ground station monitor and Foolcontrol running over the Latitude boxes, ops could surf WB, ISO, Playback, frame rate, resolution, etc. etc. etc. Would be like flying the big brother of a DJI Inspire..

Seems like the only link not yet available is between the ground Latitude and Movi Controller. What would it take to do that?

Matt Laver and Kris Bird like this.
  6. Kris Bird

Kris Bird New Member

Matt is basically spot on - yes, you just need a latitude box on the back of the movi controller, and a firmware mode compatible with it. Yes, we will do this soon! The movi controller can keep its receiver. It'll do electronic control of EF lenses etc

Kris
    RTMotion

Matt Laver likes this.
  7. Matt Beardsley

Kris, That's great news. Red DSMC2 + Latitude + Foolcontrol + Movi Controller: it'll be a whole new game for Movi/Red shooters. Congrats on the Latitude launch, what an awesome new tool :)

Peter Lay likes this.
  8. Kris Bird

Kris Bird New Member

Thanks! I've added it to the firmware to-dos!

Matt Laver likes this.
  9. Cameron Michael

Kris, Ill PAYYYY to be a tester for that.... haha I'm insanely excited for the latitude sidekick!

feel free to email me at Info@cameron-michael.com if you need anyone to test in the field! ;) haha

10. Peter Lay

Peter Lay Member

Hey Kris, any update with the Latitude integration with movi controller? I have MK3.1 system and looking to acquire a MDR-X to run with movi controller. Cheers, Pete

11. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

Anybody know where to find the correct cable that will connect the Movi Controller to the Rt Motion Latitude?

7 pin from the Movi controller AUX DATA PORT to 5 PIN going into the IN - 1 on the latitude module. It looks like Freefly have stopped selling follow focus upgrade kits altogether. Kris (if you're still keeping an eye on this) I can't see this cable in your online store & I can't find anything online but the manual which came with the Latitude sidekick has a section on connecting a latitude MDR to Movi Controller.
    Cheers

Peter Lay likes this.
  12. Peter Lay

Peter Lay Member

My question as well..... like to run my Movi controller with Latitude MDR-M.... is cable available? And is there anyone with this setup at moment? Cheers

13. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

Hey Peter, I've just ordered the cable from mediablackout.net. I don't think it's listed on their site but if you send them a message they can help. I'm not even 100% sure whether the firmware is in place to make the connection work yet, but have ordered the cable and will update here if it works out.
    Best - Neil

14. Peter Lay

Peter Lay Member

Hey Neil, thanks for the info. Will order cable from media blackout as well. I've already ordered lens motor (for a separate RR system), power and RCP cables for my Epic W from them as well.... good guys! Like you I suspect the firmware is not there yet. RT Motion did mention they were working on Movi Pro solution via com port on TSU, but again not sure if that involved using latitude MDR with Movi controller or not. Look forward your update. Cheers!

15. Peter Lay

Peter Lay Member

Hi Kris any progress with this? I already have Latitude MDR and looking to purchase MDR-X if integration with Movi controller is possible. Cheers.

16. Peter Lay

Peter Lay Member

Hey Neil, did you get the cable and have you tried? The Latitude manual says its possible but doesn't actually confirm if firmware supports it.

17. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

The cable hasn't arrived just yet, I have confirmation from RT Motion that the next firmware update will include Movi controller functionality. When the cable + update arrive I'll update you here

18. Peter Lay

Peter Lay Member

Thanks for the update Neil! Look forward to seeing it all happen.

19. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

Rt Motion are currently working on integration with Movi Pro but have also tested the Movi controller as described on this thread - whereby the Movi controller is essentially plugged into the Latitude module and functions as a thumbwheel in transmitter mode, I'm not sure that the current firmware (beta) includes this functionality yet but will test when the cable arrives.

I've been testing the Latitude transmitter mode today and can confirm that it works very nicely. I have a latitude module with connection to Latitude sidekick on the camera, plugged in a thumb roller to the Latitude module and can pull focus + toggle record. This setup also allows fool control integration. For the time being then - you can place an RT Motion thumb-wheel somewhere on you Movi controller - pull focus/iris, start/stop record and integrate fool control for camera settings. Instructions for transmitter mode below:

1. Download the latest firmware to each LATITUDE
    2. ensure each Latitude is operating on the same channel number (set using controller)
    3. Attach one Latitude to the camera (this is the server Latitude) (LED is green, no LED on SK however)
    4. On the other Latitude hold down the internal button above the 'A' (use a thin pencil/screwdriver).
    5. Hold down until LED turns purple. Then release. LED should stay purple.
    6. This Latitude is now in Client mode and is the Latitude that FoolControl will connect to.
    7. Once Latitudes are configured you can power cycle and they will remember their mode.
    8. Power off both Latitudes
    9. Connect Server latitude to RED camera (SK). Attach power supply.
    10. Server latitude will power up, LED is green, and it will flash white for a few seconds to indicate it has seen the camera via RS232.
    11. Attach power to the Client Latitude (roaming Latitude).
    12. The Client Latitude will boot up and the LED will be purple.
    13. If the Latitudes see each other then both Latitudes will start flashing Purple to indicate that they are in RF Relay mode and communicating.
    14. On the iPad select the WiFi network of the Client Latitude.
    15. Once connected, launch FoolControl.
    16. Hopefully FoolControl will detect the camera and operate as normal.

Matt Laver and Peter Lay like this.