/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVI Compatible Cameras that hold up to Alexa

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Bo McKenzie, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Bo McKenzie

Bo McKenzie New Member

Hey guys,

I have had the pleasure of showing our MoVI to the Director and DP of Fox's "Sleepy Hollow" last week and they have been using it ever since, with no end in sight. The show shoots on the Alexa with two c300's for "crash cams". I have been flying the c300 for them the past week, but the DP is not happy with the image. I'm looking for solutions to a MoVI compatible camera that could hold up with the image from the Alexa. It seems the 1DC may be a viable option for now, but wanted to see if anyone had experience with using these cameras in conjunction with one another. The Epic and Scarlett are not an option because the post house does not approve and the images are obviously very different between the two camera systems. The Alexa M may be an option down the road for Season 2 but for now I don't have time to troubleshoot and test a camera for these last two weeks of Season 1, especially considering it's pushing the limits of the rig. They have been so thrilled with the results of the MoVI thus far that I would hate to see them abandon it simply because of the lack of a comparable cameras.
    . Any insight or advice would greatly be appreciated!

**Thanks guys, and tune in to the Season 1 finale of Sleepy Hollow. The opening shot and many more were all done on the MoVI!! :)

sleepyMoVI.JPG

2. Chris Herr

Chris Herr Member

I've been flying the C500 recently with a Gemini recorder, or Codex recorder for a DP who came from Film then Alexa, and most recently C500. Canon 4K Raw is amazing, and matches Alexa footage seamlessly. Here's an extremely in depth comparison between the two. You'll find that Alexa out performs the C500 in day exteriors, while the C500 excels without much light.

Part 1: http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2013/10/arri-alexa-vs-canon-c500/

Part 2: http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2013/10/arri-alexa-vs-canon-c500-part-2/

3. Paul Watt

Paul Watt Member

Well, the word is the Epic Dragon is much more easily matched to Alexa. You might have to buy a carbon one to get one quickly, but it would be that much lighter in the Movi. At 4 pounds you could even get a Canon Zoom (15.5-47) and lens control on it and still be at 11 pounds.

4. Chris Herr

Chris Herr Member

I feel that a Canon LW Zoom would be far too front heavy for the MoVI, It would be interesting to try.

5. Paul Watt

Paul Watt Member

I was suspecting that might be the case. Perhaps when they make the mod for longer cameras available it could work. It would be the mini-cineflex with that setup, though.

6. dan mohr

dan mohr New Member

i've found the 1dc @4k/c-log plays very well indeed alongside Alexa, so long as you expose it well, and the debayer and grade are handled by pros. ...I'd think Fox has you covered.

just my 2cents.